dobbs' west ridge – BEEEEEES

Home Forums Trail Conditions dobbs' west ridge – BEEEEEES

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  shawnsisler 6 months ago.

• Author

brichardsson
    Participant

y’all keep an eye out, i went up dobbs’ west ridge yesterday and got dive-bombed by a swarm of bees at around the 8,800′ level. apparently there’s a new hive/nest close to the “trail” (it’s one of the areas where the trail is more defined). ran like hell and still got stung once. my hiking partner said i had a swarm of around 20 circling my head.

shawnsisler
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up.

Bees in huge swarms are usually “Africanized honeybees” that you can hear them buzzin from a distance. They are usually in big swamps in May & June with all the blooming flowers. I have heard of the following recommendations 1. Wear light-colored clothing. 2. Remain clam and don’t swat or swing at them but just try to leave. 3. Try not to get stung because that will┬árelease tagging pheromones, potent chemical signals that will attract and arouse more bees to you. 4. After a safe distance away, stop and check your clothing and pack to make sure there aren’t any still crawling on you. Bee careful.

SGWA volunteer

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.