High camp

Home Forums Trail Conditions High camp

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Tin Cup
      Participant

Anyone know the trail conditions up to high camp? I was at halfway this past weekend but never went past there .

MikeH
      Participant

I’d be interested in this also.

Tin Cup
      Participant

I saw someone post back at the end of January that with micro spikes you could make it to high creek but now being a month later hopefully that’s has changed .

Ranger Lon
      Participant

In the past few weeks we have had a series of small storms that have dropped fresh snow on the mountain 4 inches here, 2 inches there, 8 inches another place. I have not had any new reports to update what you have seen, but I would expect the area above High Creek to still have thick ice and will still require crampons and ice axe – the whole nine yards. Micro spikes may get you as far as Halfway camp or High Creek, but doubtful you can use them above there. We had a rescue on Vivian Creek trail last Saturday that the Sheriff’s office posted on Nixle (nixle.us/BNNRQ)

Wish I had better details but now the road is open I expect more people to go in there.

Enjoy!

Tin Cup
      Participant

I was coming down on Saturday from halfway with my daughter and ran across some folks that claimed they were going to try to summit . None of them looked to have any business trying . No crampons or other equipment, wondering if the rescue was any one I talked to .

Tin Cup
      Participant

Also it looks like we are in for a decent storm in the next few days so the mtn range will probably get a good few inches or so

Ranger Lon
      Participant

Doesn’t sound like it. The rescue was a single male hiker. He had one of those GPS devices that can be monitored and his wife could see that he was heading in the wrong direction, so she called us and we referred her to 911 to get Search and Rescue activated. They were also able to follow his GPS track to locate him immediately by helicopter, but the conditions were too dangerous to airlift him.

Major points for being equipped for SAR to find him easily. Don’t know what caused his confusion and led to him going off the trail. This might have been avoided if he had not been hiking solo???

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.