John’s Meadow

Home Forums Trail Conditions John’s Meadow

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      James
      Participant

Anyone been to John’s Meadow recently?¬† Wondering how much of the trail is still icy.

Ranger Lon
      Participant

My last report from a few weeks ago was that it was icy from the Wilderness sign to Johns Meadow but passable. Since then we have had a few storms that dropped  new snow, followed by this week when the snow level got below the trail head level. I cannot recommend this trail at this time, but if you go, be prepared to have to walk in to get the the trail (as the road will be covered with snow) and be prepared with more than microspikes to deal with the ice that is underneath the snow.

Looks like more coming next week.

We’d love any updates you can give if you do go in there, but please be careful.

Andres
      Participant

Hello Ranger Lon,

Do you happen to have an update regarding trail status from Forsee Creek Trailhead to John’s Meadow campground? I am planning to venture that way this weekend.

Thank you!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Andres.
      Andres
      Participant

Forgot to add, what is the road condition to the trailhead?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sbnf/recarea/?recid=26559

I cannot determine when this page was last updated.

Thank you!

Ranger Lon
      Participant

Andres,

No recent trail reports, but we got snow down below the trailhead elevation over the past two weeks adding to what was already there. The dirt road does not get plowed like Jenks Lake road does, so the concern is how much snow and ice is still there. From what I can see on the Angelus Oaks webcam, the snow at that elevation has melted off pretty well, but expect shady areas (like the bench above Barton Flats) to take a little longer to melt off. As far as getting in on the road is concerned, I’d suggest waiting another week because the coming rain and warmer temperatures next week will really help clear the road.

Expect snow and ice on the trail from the beginning to the camp at Johns Meadow. The start of the trail should be only a few inches, but will get to about 6 to 12 inches by the time you get to the 7,000 foot level. Spikes will be important to keep from sliding on the ice under the snow (or when the new stuff ices over.)

Check out the webcam view on socalmountains.com and the first one that comes up is a view of the San Gorgonio Wilderness from Bear Peak and the view usually includes the Forsee creek area on the right side of the image. You are going to see a lot of white all the way down to the Barton Flats level and a bunch is peeking through the trees even at the level of this trail.

Hope that helps. Be safe and if you are uncertain of whether it is OK to proceed, wait a bit. The mountain is not going anywhere.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.