Momyer Creek Trail – Cell Phone Found

Home Forums Trail Conditions Momyer Creek Trail – Cell Phone Found

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      chris in redlands
      Participant

Yesterday (Sunday, March 23) I found a cell phone in the wash after crossing Mill Creek. Probably good odds that it was one of the many folks playing in the creek and not a hiker, but i thought i’d post here anyway. It appears to be a brand new and pretty expensive phone, so I’m sure someone is missing it. It was still on when we found it, though the emergency screen had no owner information, so i just have it sitting on the counter here hoping someone calls it.

email me with a description of the phone if you think it might be yours (the first letter of my username)jdiersen@yahoo.com

Incidentally, there are LOTS of people on the trails, if the count on Momyer yesterday was any indication.

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks for posting, Chris.

May be worth posting on the socal hiking forum of Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/socalhiking/

I can post there for you if you want.  I would include a link to this post and would not include your email.

Brittany
      Participant

If  you haven’t already tried. Maybe try the voice commands,  “Call..” Wife, hubby, mom, dad, etc???

chris in redlands
      Participant

yeah, we tried everything. Both my wife and I tried the “okay, google” with no effect. i can’t even tell what carrier they have. About the only thing i can do is dial 911, and that seems like a bad idea, though they could probably see the number if i called them. Ha! I don’t think emergency dispatch is in the business of finding phones’ owners. Ha!

I posted over on reddit (thanks MikeH) with the message to “message me with a description of the phone if you think it might be yours.” I assume that if they “message me” i’ll get an email. Pretty new to reddit. ha!

Brittany
      Participant

Well Dang!! Thanks for all your guys’ efforts! hopefully someone figures to look there!

I know what you mean, I don’t ever use reddit, I’ve only ever found myself there when reading something -ha

MikeH
      Participant

Any luck, Chris?

I was hoping someone would either use their “find my phone” thing (do google phones have that?) or text their phone with a message like “if you have my phone, please call this number”.

You should get a notification from Reddit if someone messages you.

I ran across reddit a while back researching hikes (and huskies. 🙂 ).  A ton of information there with the caveat that there is a lot of mis-information too. 🙂

Hope everyone here is staying healthy.

chris in redlands
      Participant

After a week of looking at the damn thing sitting on my new home office desk (card table in my gear room. Ha!), it occurred to me that I might be able to pull the simm card and get the phone’s number by plugging that into my last smartphone, which I still have. When I pulled the simm card, there was also a micro SD card on the same tray.

I plugged that into my laptop and quickly found a file that was some sort of form that had the owner’s name on it. A little work searching the interwebs and today I handed the phone back to its owner. Well, I left it for him on the hood of my truck so we could keep our six feet when he came to pick it up. So that eventually ended well!

MikeH
      Participant

Wow Chris!  That’s awesome.  Great work.  I hope the owner offered a reward of some kind.  You went above and beyond to get them their phone for sure.

Nicely done, dude!

TroutWhisperer
      Participant

Hey guys,

How were the overall conditions up there?  We are experienced backpackers and were hoping for an early season peak bagging run at the summit.  Naturally, there will be snow high, but approximately how much snow did you encounter and how high did you make it?

Thanks,

Steve

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.