Parking

Home Forums Trail Conditions Parking

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Webdweeb
      Participant

I’ve been reading the recent posts and am confused as to which parking lots and areas are open for use by the FS.  Trailheads under consideration are: Vivian Creek, Momyer Creek, and the trailheads near Angelus Oaks and Barton Flats (SB Peak, Forsee Creek, South Fork).  If anyone here can shed light on which trailheads have nearby parking that is not closed, I would be much obliged.

Ranger Lon
      Participant

All of those parking lots are open. Be aware to many of them will get very busy on weekends in particular. You have to decide if you think that is safe or not. I guarantee the busiest lots will be Vivian Creek, San Bernardino, South Fork and Forsee Creek in that order. Momyer is usually not as crowded unless it gets overflow from Vivian Creek. Now that the road to Aspen Grove and Fish Creek has opened, those will be much less crowded than the others.

Hope that helps

SocalJim
      Participant

Ranger Lon, I’d just like to give you a shoutout for being a friendly and trustworthy information source on the message board. I look for your posts knowing that I’m getting reliable info.

chris in redlands
      Participant

I’ll second that!

Webdweeb
      Participant

Lon, thanks so much for the info on the parking.  I agree that the other trailheads will be potentially more “impacted”, so I am looking at the Aspen Grove/Fish Creek trailheads as alternatives.  Thanks for the suggestion.

BrianC
      Participant

Third that!  Lon, you are a true public servant. Thank you for the timeliness and thoroughness of your responses!

Allen
      Participant

Hello everyone, sorry I live in Idyllwild and was thinking about heading up Humber Park to the summit on Tuesday. I know this isn’t SGW, but does anyone have any idea if the parking lot is open? I might just drive by tomorrow, but I will be working all day and Tuesday is an off day. For whatever reason I can not get into the forum for the SJ Mountains. Anyone have any info on Humber Park? Thanks.

MikeH
      Participant

Allen,

Check http://www.sanjacjon.com

Jon, the guy who owns that site, lives in Idyllwild and reports on mountain conditions.

Even if the parking lot is closed, there are those 9 (?) spots before the gate.  If you get there early enough, you should be able to grab one of those.

SocalJim
      Participant

Humber Park is open and has been since the snow melted from the parking lot. Confirmed on the Mt San Jacinto message board.

Brittany
      Participant

Vivian Creek – Hey everyone-

camping at summit n Sunday night- Am I crazy to show up to the parking lot around 10-12 in the morning on Sunday?? I saw the SAR post on facebook with the overflow at moymer. I figured people should be coming down around that time and leaving. Just would like some other opinions! Please and thank you!

Hikin Jim
      Participant

Brittany,

Some people will come and go, but if people are going to the peak, they’re not going to be coming down until late afternoon.

Families going to picnic and going to the falls will descend en masse around 10 – 12.  If I were to go, I would shoot for arriving no later than 6:00 AM.

If your schedule really calls for 10 – 12, then go to Aspen Grove, Fish Creek,  or possibly Forsee, but parking is very limited at Forsee.

HJ

Brittany
        Participant

Permit is for Vivian fortunately but unfortunately- I know it is going to be busy.

Thank you for the feedback! I was thinking the same thing and then just take my time hiking lol- thats never a bad thing

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.