Vivian creek trailhead

Home Forums Trail Conditions Vivian creek trailhead

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Tin Cup
      Participant

Does anyone know if the parking lot is open at Vivian creek trail head ? I am bring my 10 yr old daughter up on 2/28 to overnight at Vivian or halfway .

Ranger Lon
      Participant

Not there just yet. I drove up there today (Feb 19th) and the ice is still hanging in there:

Road still closed Feb 19 2020

The night time video taken of the road on the 8th made it look closer to being melted, but in the light of the day, it still looks like it will be a while before it finally melts off. We could use a warmer rain storm that would wash out the ice at the 6,000 foot elevation and maybe still drop snow higher up. This weekend is expected to bring a little bit of snow, but probably not enough to set this road back too much.

I would recommend an early start and park at the Momyer trail head parking lot. Then you will have about a 2 mile walk in on the road to get to where the Vivian Creek trail starts.

If you are open to other options, give us a call at Mill Creek Thursday – Sunday 8AM to 4:30 PM and we’ll let you know where else you might consider going that is more accessible.

Hope that helps.

Tin Cup
      Participant

Sounds good . I appreciate you checking on it . My daughter says she is up for the extra 2 miles (we’ll see ) this will be her first official backpack trip .

Ranger Lon
      Participant

Good news (for now): They have opened the road into the Big Falls parking area. Still has some ice at the entry to watch out for, but the parking lot is clear and dry.

Big Falls 3/5/2020

Remember that we have weather coming in this weekend and next week that may undo this, but for now looks like you can get in there.

Tin Cup
      Participant

Lon , why couldn’t of  they just plowed  it before ?  There was a small patch of ice  at the entrance and that was it. Just curious .

Ranger Lon
      Participant

You’d have to talk to someone from the Forest Service about that. At least they were finally able to get a dozer in to scrape enough ice off to open.

My understanding is that if we do get measurable snow at that level going forward, that it will be plowed.

Hike2summit
      Participant

Hello,

Just to give you an update, went last Saturday up to High Creek…  There was some snow and Ice from the parking lot onwards… about 3 inches at vivian creek, about 1/2 a foot at Half Camp and  sometimes more up to High Creek.

Took us about 5 1/2 hrs to get there… Needed micro spikes from the parking lot…. and above half camp I started using snow shoes, in some stretches are very helpful but not really needed.

On the way back everything was melting and falling off the trees as it got pretty warm.

Above Half-Camp

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Hike2summit.
      MikeH
      Participant

Thanks H2S.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.