Reply To: The Lake Fire Closure has Expired, and there is no New Order

Home Forums Trail Conditions The Lake Fire Closure has Expired, and there is no New Order Reply To: The Lake Fire Closure has Expired, and there is no New Order

zippetydude
Participant

I’m not clear on the reason for any closure at all at this point in time.  The fire was two years ago and the land and snags are as stable as they are going to get.  In the badly burned areas, there will be dead trees standing for the next 100 years… Surely they don’t propose to close the wilderness permanently?

By the way, the bamboo-like reeds are starting to re-grow at that little stream at the first bend in the SF trail, there is a new bloom of wild salvia that I had never seen before in such concentration, and the fern meadow just above Horse Meadow looks happier than ever.  That being said, there are many, many, many burned trees.  Still, fires are capricious, and even in areas of devastation, it is striking to see a living tree or two standing alone amongst so many charred and dead ones.  Hopefully the survivors will have a number of very good years since there will be little competition for water or nutrients in the soil…

Unfortunately, the buck thorn seems to be regrowing much faster than the tree population will, and I fear we may end up with a never-ending sea of buck thorn.  But, we will have to wait and see how the wilderness begins to re-grow as it will.

z

Comments are closed.