Reply To: Day hike permits no longer required – end of an era… Thoughts?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Day hike permits no longer required – end of an era… Thoughts? Reply To: Day hike permits no longer required – end of an era… Thoughts?

stbrnnr
Participant

I do hope you’re right, Zip, about this being a temporary (and offseason) transition.  Currently the limited day-hike permits cap all the “meet-up” crowds (to 12 heads max per permit) and uber-popular social media challenge participants that–regardless of distance from LA–have to summit SG and SB to complete their events (have you noticed the impact of these same programs on San Jacinto traffic?).

If SB trail limit is ~14 permits per day as I’ve been told, a total of 168 heads could in theory be coming and going if each permit went to a meet-up/ 6-peak challenge group.  Without such permit and head-count limits…what might the impacts on SB and Vivian trails be in next year’s high season?  Shudder to think!

I did Forsee loop a few weekends back–dozens of hikers on the SB trail section–some blasting loud music from portable blut00th speakers–dozens more on the SB summit.  Was a scene and it’s unlikely I’ll be going anywhere near that side of the range again on weekends bet Memorial and Labor Day holidays.  The rest of the range touched by that loop was how it should be and has long been (imho) for a true wilderness experience.

Rangers and Volunteers: please reinstate the mandatory permit program for next year–at least between those holidays mentioned.  Or at minimum on Vivian and SB trails, so long as these public challenge events continue to run.  Thank You! (SGW permit system supporter since 1980).

Comments are closed.