Reply To: Cold weather camping questions. Input much appreciated.

Home Forums Trail Conditions Cold weather camping questions. Input much appreciated. Reply To: Cold weather camping questions. Input much appreciated.

zippetydude
Participant

I hope your trip was a successful one.  Good advice from Ranger Steve.  Here are a couple of cold weather tips for your next trip.

1. Keep your water in your tent with you if you want it to be liquid in the morning.  I made the mistake of leaving it out once and woke up to find all my water frozen.

2. Native Americans used to use this trick – they would put large stones in their campfire a couple of hours before bedding down.  During the day they would have dug a few holes inside the place they were to be sleeping.  Just before going to bed they would put the hot stones in the holes and cover them with dirt.  The stones radiate heat throughout the night and keep the area warmer. This really works and makes me feel very clever when I do it! When camping, since I can’t dig a hole through the bottom of my tent, I simply move the tent over the warm area and stake it back down there.

z

Comments are closed.