Reply To: Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit.

Home Forums Trail Conditions Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit. Reply To: Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit.

chris in redlands
Participant

Excellent! My buddy and I went up a similar route a couple of years ago, only we turned north a bit earlier than you after getting east of the jumpoff. we started up a drainage that begins near your “SPOT2” point on the map, ascended that drainage until it became brush-choked, then scrambled onto the ridge west of the drainage and followed that ridge to where it met the vivian creek trail above the switchbacks above high creek camp (roughly at Peak 10,131). Some photos from that trip in this album.

Your route looks interesting, and confirms my assumption that it or a nearby ridge would go. I’d be curious to hear more about the difficulties you encountered on the ascent of Pi Peak. Looks rugged.

I’ve been up the Jumpoff a couple of ways, and in my opinion, there’s only one way that makes any sense and is even remotely safe. That’s to go up the brown band just off-center of the face of the jumpoff. That rocky brown band of dirt and boulders ends at a “mini-headwall” of steep boulders held together with dust and hope that you climb straight beneath, then just before you get to it, cut left and get to the top.

Anything else is just crazy. The gray, rock-free soil is loaded with clay, making it hard to get a purchase in, and treacherous when it gets steep near the top.

This is a screenshot of that route from my phone’s GPS overlaid on imagery from google earth:

MCJO Route

Comments are closed.