Reply To: Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit.

Home Forums Trail Conditions Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit. Reply To: Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit.

hbandrew
Participant

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice on Mill Creek Jumpoff.  I will try that route next time.

And I believe I may have spotted the drainage near SPOT2 that you reference.  It was a small rock gully and the only opening to the North in this area.  I considered ascending it, but was concerned I might get stuck in bush.

As for Pi Peak, once I was firmly planted on the face of Pi Peak there really were no serious obstacles on the ascent.   As far as off trail routes go, the terrain was quite manageable.   I hopped over a few logs and steered around some bush in a few spots.    There was only one spot I remember where I had to use my hands to scramble up a small rock wall.

What I will remember about Pi Peak is the sheer steepness of the ascent.  It gains over 2,000 feet in less than one mile.   And it has some false summits along the way to tease you.

Where obstacles will be encountered is getting to the base of Pi Peak.  You can see that at the beginning of the orange line I briefly ascended the fork of the Whitewater River that runs between Dragons Head Peak and the Vivian Creek Trail.   By the time I left the Whitewater River the brush on Pi Peak had cleared.  And this was very visible from the Whitewater River.  It was what enticed me out of the Whitewater River and onto Pi Peak.  I opted for the straight vertical ascent on solid ground over an unknown quantity (and steepness) of waterfall diversions.

Attempts to start lower on Pi Peak may run into thick bush.  The Whitewater River was clear up until the point when I left it.

Hope this helps.

hbandrew

Comments are closed.