Reply To: Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit.

Home Forums Trail Conditions Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit. Reply To: Trip Report – Mill Creek Jumpoff to Pi Peak to Dragons Head Peak to SG Summit.

chris in redlands
Participant

I’ll have to give that a try. I’ve seen pictures of that piece of the Whitewater that you started up, and it looks like it might be worth staying low for a while just for the scenery, but I’d also probably head out onto the face/ridge as soon as the brush allowed. That brush on the southern flanks of Gorgonio just above the jumpoff is some of the most dense manzanita i’ve ever seen. I once (foolishly) tried to cut straight up through it. Got maybe 200 feet in an hour, and my feet never touched the ground…it was just stepping from one manzanita branch to another.

Your memory is correct on that rocky gully, and like your route, the brush on the adjacent face/ridge clears at a point (in this case, right where the brush becomes very dense in the gully bottom) and a route remains clear all the way up.

Hiking all the peaks of both the SBD divide and the yucaipa ridge would definitely be a couple of days for me, not one. If you’re looking to lighten your load, replace your tent with one of the many cheap ($20 or less) hammocks available these days. Coupled with a z-rest foam pad and quilt or sleeping bag, your entire overnight gear kit can easily be shaved down to less than 5 pounds, even 4 or less, and you can carry a much smaller pack. Of course, you’ll want a pretty flawless forecast. Good for any temperature, but not so good in the rain.

The bigger problem i’d think would be water. There is none, after limber pine, without pretty substantial detours.

Comments are closed.