Reply To: Winter Ascent of San Gorgonio

Home Forums Trail Conditions Winter Ascent of San Gorgonio Reply To: Winter Ascent of San Gorgonio

RangerDave
Participant

Hello HIKINJOE, Ranger Dave here.  It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here, or up on the trails for that matter.  Not much of a winter for the past couple of seasons so it just didn’t interest me much.  I saw my name mentioned so I thought I would chime in.  After reading your post JOE I think I can determine that you don’t have any winter experience, am I correct?  Okay, so doing Gorgonio in the winter is a serious climb and not to be taken lightly.  Sure, it can be a nice warm and sunny hike with no gear necessary, OR, it can be life or death.  I’ve been winter climbing for 12 years and have some crazy experiences that have taught me plenty.  I don’t claim to be an expert, but I know a lot, so let me tell you here that you are not ready to climb Gorgonio in the winter, not yet.  You talked about maybe needing snow shoes and ice axe?  Uh ya, you sure do, but you need to know how to use them, properly, and have practiced.  You mentioned that Vivian is a safe trail with an ice axe, WRONG!  No trail should ever be considered SAFE.  What is safe?  Okay, the Hollywood sign trail is SAFE.  You want to climb 9 miles up in to the mountains, in the winter, in the snow, it’s not SAFE.  But, it can be done safely if you know what you’re doing?  That also means knowing when to turn around if it doesn’t look right?  There is so much to go over that I just can’t do it all here, so, if you’re willing to give me your phone number here I will call you personally?

Ranger Dave out.

Comments are closed.