Reply To: SGWA Volunteer(s) giving misinformation about permits

Home Forums Trail Conditions SGWA Volunteer(s) giving misinformation about permits Reply To: SGWA Volunteer(s) giving misinformation about permits

Ranger Lon
Participant

Chris,

First I’d like to apologize for the confusion and hassle. I personally appreciate the reports and details you often share on this forum and I often rely on you, among others, for the information I give out at Mill Creek. Thanks again for what you share with us here.

I will pass this along to the Trail Patrol coordinator and get the word out to this (and any other) well meaning, but misinformed volunteers.

You are correct that Day Hikes do not currently require a permit – it is recommended, but at this time it is optional. That does not mean we won’t ask if you have one and take extra time to tell you why we think it is better for you to have one, but ultimately it is up to you whether you fill one out or not.

On the subject of bringing back the requirement, we are waiting for the Forest Service to issue a new Forest Order that will require day hikers to have a permit when entering the Wilderness. The key word there is “waiting.” It might come as soon as September, or may be later this year – we just don’t know when this will finally be issued.

When the new order comes out, you should be able to confirm this either on our Home Page or the Wilderness Permits page where the request forms are. I will make it VERY clear that the permit requirement has come back.

If in doubt, call us at the Mill Creek Visitor Center Thursday – Sunday during normal hours and we’ll be glad to confirm what the requirement is.

Comments are closed.