Reply To: Hunting SGWA, Vivian Creek (5/1) and Mineshaft Flats (5/23-5/25) with pictures

Home Forums Trail Conditions Hunting SGWA, Vivian Creek (5/1) and Mineshaft Flats (5/23-5/25) with pictures Reply To: Hunting SGWA, Vivian Creek (5/1) and Mineshaft Flats (5/23-5/25) with pictures

SocalJim
Participant

A friend and I shared carrying a shotgun on a weeklong trip in NorCal decades ago. We did have problems with bears and our food (we were young and inexperienced), but never thought of firing it randomly in the dark, especially considering that we knew we weren’t alone in the area. I quickly came to the conclusion, borne out by decades of backcountry experience and based on the fact that bears usually don’t want anything to do with humans, that carrying any firearm in a wilderness area is adding unnecessary dead weight. I’m 68 and the only sign of lion I’ve ever seen is their prints. I think I heard one once when we were camped near a spring and the sound we heard (once) I can only imagine came from a cougar. Even bears sniffing around for food can be dealt with by a few well-placed rocks thrown at them. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone carrying a firearm in a wilderness area. I admit to being one of those who question the interpretation of the Second Amendment as ¬†virtually anyone who wants a gun can have a gun. And I’ve managed to live on this planet for 68 years without ever feeling the need to own a gun. That said, I have no objection to legal, ethical hunters. But meeting someone on the trail carrying a handgun… ugh, why? I don’t want to start a firestorm of debate here. This is just a long winded way of saying, if you ain’t hunting, a gun is quite unnecessary.

Comments are closed.