Reply To: Hunting SGWA, Vivian Creek (5/1) and Mineshaft Flats (5/23-5/25) with pictures

Home Forums Trail Conditions Hunting SGWA, Vivian Creek (5/1) and Mineshaft Flats (5/23-5/25) with pictures Reply To: Hunting SGWA, Vivian Creek (5/1) and Mineshaft Flats (5/23-5/25) with pictures

Justin
Participant

Thanks Mike, Jim, and Ranger Lon! I did already purchase a hunting license, and did enter the drawing for a D14 tag, which is a Premium Zone for the 2020 season and requires a drawing instead of an automatic issue. I should know in about a month whether I’ll get to hunt D14 this fall (rifle).

Jim, I have similar sentiments regarding handguns on the trails (not worried about people, mainly the possibility of four-legged creatures since I’m typically alone and quiet, because I am scouting and WANT to see wildlife, but mainly deer). It sounds like we’d never have anywhere near the level of risk here as I would if I was alone in northwest Montana, which I’d definitely want to have open carry for quick access. But I did some more research and found a great combination chest rig from a company called Hill People Gear. It’s a combination of a chest MOLLE pouch which will fully conceal a firearm (no gasping hikers) and hold my glass (binoculars), all while still being compact and not too big.

Thank you Lon for all the great advice. I did a lot of research, googling and searching YouTube before my Memorial Day trip. I also looked at a topo map and identified the areas where I thought there would be deer. Low and behold, Northfork Meadows is where I saw all the deer. I don’t think it’s a secret to any hunter, so it’s not as those I’m giving away a secret spot. It takes a certain type of person that is willing to hike 8-9 miles in to get there, then hike 8-9 miles back with a lot more weight on you than what you started with. That in and of itself is a barrier to entry. I’ll definitely be stopping by Mill Creek- any leads on when you’ll be reopening?

Comments are closed.