Reply To: Spring at Red Rock Flat campsite?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Spring at Red Rock Flat campsite? Reply To: Spring at Red Rock Flat campsite?

Hikin Jim
Participant

Are you planning on returning the way you came?  Or are you going to descend via the Sky High Trail and Dry Lake?

Last time I did something like this, I tanked up at Dollar Lake and camped at Dry Lake View.  I had the place to myself, and it was a nice time.  Nothing wrong with Red Rock Flat, though.

I think that High Meadow Springs is nicer than either Red Rock or Dry Lake View, but it’s out of your way, and getting water there is a little bit of a chore.   You have to search around for the water, and the flow is low.  When the water is flowing at Dollar Lake, it’s pretty easy to gather.

One more thing about High Meadow Springs:  I’d say it’s about a mile and a quarter west from Dollar Lake Saddle.  It’s just about a mile from the saddle to the turn off to camp, and then it’s a quarter to a third mile steeply down to the water.  If that site is saying that High Meadow Springs is only 1/2 a mile west of the saddle, I think they’re off, way off.  If you’re going to go to High Meadow Springs, you’re adding about 2.5 miles to your trip.

HJ

Comments are closed.