Reply To: Spring at Red Rock Flat campsite?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Spring at Red Rock Flat campsite? Reply To: Spring at Red Rock Flat campsite?

Hikin Jim
Participant

Take a look at this map:  https://caltopo.com/m/2F7R

Notice how the view due west from Red Rock Flat goes straight into the S. Ridge of Anderson Peak.  Your camp is at about 10,100′.  The view west intersects the S. Ridge of Anderson at about 10,100′.  In other words, your camp’s elevation is about the same as the ridge.  I don’t think you’re going to have a great view of the Sunset.

Then look at the view due west from Dry Lake View.  Dry Lake View is at about 10,500′, and the view west intersects the S. Ridge of Anderson at about 8,500′.  In other words, your camp is 2000′ higher than the ridge.  I think you’re going to have a much better sunset view from Dry Lake View.

Incidentally, if you like sunset views, Limber Pine Bench is my personal favorite, but that would be for another hike.

As for doing the loop, yes, I would recommend it, but it will be a bit longer.  If you can get the permit, Lodgepole is a good place to stop for a second night, or, if you’re a strong hiker, you can hike all the way out.  I like seeing as wide a variety of scenery as possible, and this loop, the South Fork Loop is one of the classics of the San Gorgonio Wilderness.

Be aware that of course there will be no water from the Dollar Lake area to the Dry Lake area.

See also my blog post on some of the loops in the wilderness.  I’ll post the link below.  If you put more than one link in a post, your post typically goes into Never-Never land.  However, note that the Grinnell Loop is currently in bad shape in lower Fish Creek.

HJ

Comments are closed.