Reply To: San Gorgonio Wilderness is Burning Again!

Home Forums Trail Conditions San Gorgonio Wilderness is Burning Again! Reply To: San Gorgonio Wilderness is Burning Again!

Ed
Participant

All the experts agree that population increase and spread, drought, and climate change are major factors.  The related issues of fuel and forest management are far more controversial than is often represented, particularly as represented by CalFire, the USFS, and the logging industry.  For example, see this page and many others from the California Chaparral Institute for a different point of view.

http://www.californiachaparral.com/fire/forest-fires/

The CCI is in favor of community protection programs, but presents plenty of evidence that forest management is ineffective to harmful.  I would not describe myself as a total convert to their point of view, but the evidence they marshal is impressive.  On the practical side, I simply don’t see how you can manage the forests once you are any distance from communities and roads.  Not at any price the public is willing to pay, regardless of whether the price is measured in dollars or loss of wilderness.

Comments are closed.