Reply To: San Bernardino Peak Trail to- almost- Limber Pine

Home Forums Trail Conditions San Bernardino Peak Trail to- almost- Limber Pine Reply To: San Bernardino Peak Trail to- almost- Limber Pine

MikeH
Participant

Details:

Packed Mika in the car and headed out. Road to trailhead is in typical semi-rough condition. My Crosstrek had no issues. Pretty much any car that isn’t too low would be fine. There was a sedan and a Honda Element at the trailhead.

Trail is in good condition. A couple downed trees but nothing too crazy. I was surprised there wasn’t more downed trees. As expected, it was a sea of burned trees and bushes. Trail is basically clear of snow until about 3 miles in. Some patches of snow were a bit difficult to walk over without traction devices of some sort.  There was no water on the trail that I saw.

We made it 4.6 miles in and turned around. The trail was getting more covered in snow and hard to find. Got tired of trying to kick-step and called it day. Apparently traversing slopes is my kryptonite. Have hated it for as long as I’ve been hiking. I brought trail crampons, but never put them on. Would have gotten us farther than we went for sure. I just envisioned doing that kick-step dance for the next two miles. No thanks.

Comments are closed.