Reply To: All things Momyer

Home Forums Trail Conditions All things Momyer Reply To: All things Momyer

chris in redlands
Participant

Brian,

That flume! Every time I see it, I wonder who the hell keeps it clear enough to continue delivering water, since like you, i’ve tried to follow it only to be stymied by brush. It looks so easy to follow for the first couple hundred yards where you can easily see it below the trail after poopout! ha! I once mistook the flume for the trail near there when breaking trail while snowshoeing. I even made it a hundred yard or so before comically postholing, into the drink, snowshoes and all, up to my neck. Ha!

Following the ridge down from dobbs all the way to mill creek would get pretty spicy once you got down below the wilderness boundary, I would think! 🙂  And yeah, those old time guys, the dobbses and the vivians…they must have been a different cut of person. I can’t imagine the adventurous spirit, strength, and ingenuity they must have had.

Steve,

Thanks for the tips! That is a great doc you linked too. What a bunch of neat history! The “for and against” arguments for the ski resort are very interesting. Also thought it was interesting that in his testimony, Momyer pointed out that so cal wouldn’t need another ski resort once the one at Mineral King was built. Ha! The Mineral King one was also fell apart after a number of setbacks.

I actually had a PDF copy of Cynthia Holman’s masters thesis open on my computer when I read your reponse. 🙂 It comes up pretty early in online searches for information about the wilderness. Agree that it’s a good read.

I’ve been trying to find a copy of that John Robinson book for a long time. I have had no luck. It’s quite obscure. The Smiley library doesn’t appear to have a copy, though you’re correct that they’re an incredible resource. I really need to spend some more time there doing homework. The local papers, back in the day, frequently had stories about the wilderness, its trails, and the characters who populated them.

Comments are closed.