Reply To: 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back.

Home Forums Trail Conditions 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back. Reply To: 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back.

chris in redlands
Participant

Sounds like a great trip! Makes me feel kind of bad for not even making it up for a day-hike in the last few days… from down here in Redlands, it looked like there must have been huge storm clouds up there, and the last couple of times I’ve been up in SGWA with a “20% chance of thunderstorms” I managed to be wherever it was that got the 20%. ha!

Limber Pine…what a great place to camp! A few months ago I was camped at Trail Fork camp and a giant tree came crashing down right near us at 3am…and it was totally calm! Unnerving, for sure!

Regarding Trail Fork Springs, you’re correct; the spot where the (nonfunctional) pipe is found is in that marshy area. You can get to the water by tiptoeing west along a soggy path about 20 feet from the spot below the trail junction signs where you can see the path into the willow thicket. I was there Thursday before last and the spring was flowing enough to fill up using the “two bottle method;” holding the mouth of one small gatorade bottle in the flow over a flat rock then pouring that into another once you get as much water as the angle of the collecting bottle allows. it would be very hard to fill a bladder there, unless you had an old pump-style filter.

I’ve never seen trail fork springs completely dry. It’s one of my favorite places for water both because of its reliability, and because you don’t need to filter it. It’s one of those springs where you can see right where the water is coming from the ground. Every time I’m there I make a half-hearted plan to come back and fix the spring box. Fifteen years ago the pipe still worked, but doesn’t anymore, I assume because 1. the spring box filled with sediment, and 2. people used to stand on the pipe to get water to come out, which i  think probably killed it for good. A day’s work with a shovel would probably get it working again!

Thanks for the writeup!

Comments are closed.