Reply To: 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back.

Home Forums Trail Conditions 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back. Reply To: 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back.

MikeH
Participant

Thanks for the info, Chris.  You’re a wealth of information!

One day I’ll wander in there to check out the pipe.

Side note: We were going to take Forsee Creek Trail, but after reading the reports about the washout areas, I didn’t want to risk not being able to get by with the dog and having to turn back.  Maybe I’ll head up Forsee by myself in the next month or so and check out the spring.

Side note 2:  I know the feeling of hearing a tree fall in the middle of the night.  Do you ever hike around the San Jacinto Wilderness?   Mika and I have twice hiked down the “King Trail”, named after Jon King of the sanjacjon.com trail report.  Neat trail.  Kind of “off-trail light”.  You might like it.

It’s a very infrequently traveled trail shortly after Saddle Junction that leads down to Willow Creek and beyond toward Caramba and Laws Camps.  Nice for solitude.  Right near where it crosses Willow Creek, there is an unofficial camp that is currently (at least it was as recently as a month ago) used by some biologists from the San Diego Zoo for surveys/ studies during the week.  They don’t seem to work weekends.

Lots of pine cones dropping and other various noises.  A little unnerving but less so after realized it was mostly pine cones.

The first night we stayed there, though, I heard the tell-tale cracking of a tree falling and then the crash.  I honestly didn’t know what to do except wait and hope it wasn’t going to hit us.  It didn’t sound right next to us, but definitely close.  Looked around in the morning but couldn’t tell which tree it was.

Trail Fork Springs Camp

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by MikeH.

Comments are closed.