Reply To: 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back.

Home Forums Trail Conditions 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back. Reply To: 2 night trip – SB Peak Trail to Limber Pine, Trail Fork Springs and back.

MikeH
Participant

Thanks Stephen.

These ultralight tents, while expensive, are really nice.  For those who are trying to go lightweight, the weight savings is pretty impressive.  This tent (Durston Gear X-Mid Pro 2) and its stakes only weigh 22oz. (!)

If you haven’t looked into them yet, they are made with a material called DCF or Dyneema.  A very light, strong material.  One advantage is that it does not absorb water so you don’t get that wet, sagging tent in a rainstorm like you can in a Sil tent.  Also, a quick shake will shed water before stuffing it into its bag.  I’ve heard rumors of hail storms destroying them, though… if true, that’d be an expensive hail storm… not to mention no longer having a viable shelter.

The X-Mid is a hybrid double wall tent- netting only on the sidewalls- whereas my Tarptent Stratospire Li is a true double wall and can be setup inner only or fly only and you can change the inner from a full mesh to a partial mesh depending on weather forecast, preference etc.

The X-Mid is easier to setup.  The Strat can be a bit finicky. Both have large footprints, 100″x80″ for the X-Mid, so finding a suitable tent spot can sometimes be tricky.

Both are palaces for me and Max or Mika.

I purchased the X-Mid to see if I preferred it to the Strat due to it being easier to set up, which I think I do but I’ll give it a couple more trips to see if that overcomes the pros of the Strat.

Here’s a wide-angle pic of the roominess of the tent.

Max in tent wide angle

Comments are closed.