1n02/ 1n05 to Aspen Grove/ Fish Creek ETA opening?

Home Forums Trail Conditions 1n02/ 1n05 to Aspen Grove/ Fish Creek ETA opening?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeH
      Participant

Is there a way to know when the road to Aspen Grove and Fish Creek Trailheads might open?

A year or so ago, Ranger Lon said it sometimes takes into early May.  If one had a FC Trailhead permit for near the end of April, what are the chances the road would be open?

MikeH
      Participant

FWIW- I received a reply that the first gate off hwy 38 is open, but not the second.

I’m assuming the first gate is the gate very close to 38 and the second is the gate past Heart Bar etc and about a mile or so before the Aspen Grove Trailhead?

Thanks in advance.

MikeH
      Participant

Just got another reply to the message I sent on the contacts link for SGWA that the gate at Hwy 38 is still closed.

KO
      Participant

Heartbar campground opens 4/23, so its a good bet that 1N02 will be at least partly open by then.

MikeH
      Participant

Excellent.  Thanks KO.

shawnsisler
      Participant

The roads 1N02 & 1N05 are currently in seasonal winter closure. They are schedule to open the first week of May but can be delayed for any needed repairs.

The Aspen Grove & Fish Creek trails are open but you will have to park near Heart Bar campground. You can either hike the roads to trailheads or there is a horse trail off the Santa Ana River trail to Aspen Grove trailhead. The horse trail is about 1 mile west of Santa Ana River trailhead noted by a small sign post. Or if you are good with maps and GPS then you can go across the Big Meadow to trail junction sign at gps coordinates 34.151981, -116.786395.  Either route will add 2-3 miles each way.

Note: SGWA volunteers have checked road 1N05 all the way and there wasn’t any obstacles currently. So hopefully it will open on time. For updates please call SBNF HQ 909-382-2600.

And remember a hiking or overnight permit is required for the SGW trails that are open and can be done online thru this website under “Wilderness Permits”.

KO
        Participant

Looks like Fish Creek/Aspen grove trails are open, and the SBNF website does not show 1n02 or 1n05 closed as of 4/15!

MikeH
        Participant

Thanks KO.

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks Shawn!

phainopepla
      Participant

Does anybody know what the road conditions for 1n02 and/or 1n05 are like?

I know it says they are “not for low-slung vehicles”, but that can mean anything from “you can do it in a sedan if you are careful, drive slow and know what you’re doing” to “truck absolutely required”.

Anyone driven up recently that can provide a report?

Thanks

MikeH
        Participant

Someone on facebook posted that the road was in good condition.

The couple times I went, there was only a couple spots that were bad enough for me to be glad I was in our Crosstrek.  Otherwise, it was a decently graded dirt road.  Just have to watch out for sharp rocks etc.

One of the times, there was a Honda Civic or Accord sedan parked at the trailhead.  I wouldn’t take “my” Civic, but they made it so… 🙂

phainopepla
        Participant

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info

KW
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I wouldn’t go past the Aspen Grove trailhead in a low-slung vehicle such as a sedan, hatchback, or a lot of crossovers.  You might be able to make it to the Fish Creek trailhead in a a low-slung vehicle if it has been graded recently but it will probably be quicker to just hike from Aspen Grove.   Even in my Tacoma I don’t think it saves much time to drive all the way to the Fish Creek Trailhead.  The road between the trailheads is a lot longer than the trail between the two trailhead.  Even getting to the Aspen Grove Trailhead you might encounter one rough patch but it is usually okay for a sedan.</p>

phainopepla
        Participant

Thanks, that’s useful info!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.