Advice: best campsite from fish creek trailhead?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Advice: best campsite from fish creek trailhead?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      samtonka
      Participant

Hi all,

Trying to figure out which campsite to use from fish creek trailhead. I don’t mind hiking in with my gear 2-3 hours or so, depending on how steep the terrain is. I also want to be within a half mile or less if possible to water. I can’t gauge how the water levels are, or exactly what is near Fish Creek Saddle Camp or Dry Lake / Lodgepole Camp. I checked here for water levels, but maybe I missed it somehow? Can someone advise on a campsite they like from this trailhead please? Trying to get up there July 21-24. I’ll be doing San Gorgonio summit one day I am camping. Thanks so much!

MikeH
      Participant

I’ve been to two camps from Fish Creek Trailhead:  Fish Creek Camp and Fish Creek Saddle.

Fish Creek Camp is only a couple miles from the trailhead.  Water typically available about 1/4-1/2 mile past the camp.  Also possibly down hill from camp but that source may be gone now.  See my post with pictures and information.

Fish Creek Saddle is another 3.5 miles or so past Fish Creek Camp.  No water at camp, but you can walk about .5-1.0 mile down the hill to Lodgepole/ Dry Lake which typically has water.

Alternately, you can fill up at the water source just past Fish Creek Camp and carry it up to Fish Creek Saddle.

I’ve made a couple posts about Fish Creek Saddle in case you want to see pictures etc.

If you are going to summit San G from Fish Creek Trailhead, I’d suggest staying at Fish Creek Saddle.

samtonka
      Participant

MikeH,

Thank you for this information, it’s very helpful. I looked for your pics that you mentioned, but I am not sure how to find them. Can you advise on how to find those please?

Lastly, can you tell me how strenuous the hike is to Fish Creek Saddle? I don’t mind going slow and taking a few hours, but it will be at elevation, so I want to plan correctly for time so I am not rushed.

I appreciate your time and help! Thanks!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by samtonka.
      • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by samtonka.
      samtonka
      Participant

Ok sorry I did see the images you posted around late May for FC campsite and then others at the start of June for FC Saddle Campsite. Thanks!

I also saw it was about 4ish hours hike to FC Saddle, that seems manageable, but I will be going slow due to elevation and as you say, Covid conditioning…  but that’s OK, it seems to help cut down time to hike to SG Summit.

Any other tips are welcome. I am a bit nervous about my car getting to FC trailhead parking based on some of the comments, so hopefully it works OK.

samtonka
      Participant

My other option is Momyer TH. If you know anything about this area that is great, but I’ll post another thread anyway. Momyer seems to offer more solitude, which I like, but I realize it will be busy everywhere now.

MikeH
      Participant

I didn’t find the hike to be very strenuous (relatively speaking).  Not that I wasn’t breathing hard, but I believe this is the longer, but more gentle/ gradual way to get to San G.

What type of vehicle do you have?  Last time I was there, someone drove up in a Honda Accord sedan… I think there were 4 people so it was probably weighted down a bit.

Honestly, there are only a few spots where you have to be extra careful.  Most of the road is a smooth(ish) or moderately bumpy dirt road.  I watched out, mostly, for sharp rocks.

It’s 7 miles back to the trailhead.  Going slow (10 mph?), it will take you 45 minutes or so.  I don’t go slow anymore. 🙂

Sorry, I don’t know anything about Momyer.

MikeH
      Participant

Sam,

Go to the SGWA friends facebook page.  Someone posted a short clip from driving on the road.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgwa.friends/

Scroll to post that’s titled: Alyssa Marie is with Evan Jedynak.

I do not have a facebook account and was able to view the video.

samtonka
      Participant

Thanks so much MikeH! I do greatly appreciate your help and time. I am now leaning toward starting at Momyer as it seems a bit less traveled and I can get water very close to Saxon Camp or Dobbs if I decide to stop earlier. But your time and communication has been so appreciated.

I am going to check out that FB video, thanks!

All the best!

chris in redlands
      Participant

Start before dawn if you’re going in on momyer this time of year or you will fry.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.