Aspen Grove to Fish Creek Camp?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Aspen Grove to Fish Creek Camp?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      stockdogranch
      Participant

Hi, all! I’m planning a one-night overnight from Aspen Grove to Fish Creek and am wondering about the trail conditions. I have an older friend going with who is unsure about downed trees, etc. I haven’t been there since before the Lake Fire.

Thanks!

Anna

MikeH
      Participant

I posted a trip report from the Fish Creek Trailhead to Fish Creek Camp but it has not been approved yet.  Unfortunately, I did not take the Aspen Grove Trail so I can only give insight from the intersection of the two trails to FC Camp.

From that intersection, there were a few downed trees.  All but one was easy to get around.  The “hard one” just took a little finesse but was doable.

Here is a link to a pic of that tree.  It’s steeper than it looks (left to right) and a little slick on the downhill side.  My son (in the picture)  had no problems as long as he took it slow.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156579288@N08/398998

Hikin Jim
      Participant

My daughter and I went up from Aspen Grove to Mineshaft Flats over Memorial Day weekend.

There were quite a lot of downed trees.  I wouldn’t say that any were particularly difficult for me or my daughter, but then she and I may be younger than your friend and may not have had something register as “hard” for us.  One definitely had to climb over and around a lot of them.

I have photos, but the SGW site has very tight size restrictions, so I can’t post them.

HJ

MikeH
      Participant

HJ,

How was the condition of the Aspen Grove Trail portion of your hike?  Thinking it would make a nice medium distance hike to FC Camp with the family… and save us from driving the extra 5 miles back to FC Trailhead.

Hikin Jim
        Participant

MikeH:

Well, the trail was easily followable, but there was quite a bit of deadfall across the trail.  None of the downed logs was horribly difficult to negotiate, but they are something of an impediment.

The real issue with the Aspen Grove Trail now is the heat.  It’s really barren and shadeless for much of the route, and the whitish soil reflect the heat back up on one.  The air temperature was in the 70’s when we hiked out on Memorial Day, but I found it unpleasantly hot.

HJ

MikeH
        Participant

Excellent info.  Thanks HJ.

Hikin Jim
        Participant

You bet.

One addendum:  I’m talking about going up Fish Creek, i.e. toward Fish Creek Meadows, Fish Creek Camp, and Fish Creek Saddle.  The trail down to the lower section of the grove is indistinct, and one person I talked who had come up from the SART said it was overgrown and was a real bushwhack.

HJ

stockdogranch
      Participant

Thanks, everyone! That give me an idea of what she might be up against. She’s agreed to give it a go!

A

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.