Big Tree (not) Camp

Home Forums Trail Conditions Big Tree (not) Camp

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      BrianD
      Participant

Here’s the Beta,

My son and I had a permit for Saturday night to camp at Big Tree. Our real plan was to go down even further to some great campsites down on the NF (at least they were great in the late ’70s but still required about a mile of tough bushwacking.) But now after the fire, getting to Big Tree itself is a feat of strength (followed by serious airing of grievances!) And once you arrive, there is no place to camp. So we trudged on further. I am enough of an idiot to keep going, but my 13-year-old is smarter and said we should probably give up. So away we trudged back to Mineshaft. All that said, we made a valiant effort and it’s an amazing place. You really feel alone, which is why we go. My son said he was super glad we went down there; but he was not super glad we went down there with full packs.

So Big Tree Camp — really needs to be renamed (if anyone can actually find it to do that). Cool place, though, the kind that really cuts short the life of your boots.

stbrnnr
      Participant

Hey Brian!  Thanks for the report on a most interesting zone.  The lower canyon may well all now be obliterated following the fire, downfall and the current foliage superbloom.  But it should be noted that the Big Tree campsite shown on many of the commonly used mapping sources is notoriously incorrect [several years ago “Hiking Jim” published the correction on this forum, credit is all his].  It’s generally shown–as on Caltopo–just south of a spring, nearby North Folk Meadows.  The actual (preferred) camp site was another kilometer+ down a trace trail, located in the triangular confluence of NFWR and an unnamed north-south trib creek, just below the 8k contour line.  The original Big Tree itself is long gone.  But from your description of the zone, that trace trail extension could now well have been “absorbed?”  Ranger John Flippin could likely provide useful data should he check in here as he likes to head down that way when he’s not restoring Fish Creek Trail.  Keep on truckin–Steve

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks for the info, Brian.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.