Conditions and question?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Conditions and question?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Amir
      Participant

Planning to hike and camp at dry lake in a few weeks. Have permit already. Never being to area.  Stupid/novice question: planning to spend night at dry lake area and summit SG peak next day. Would I leave pack and take day pack?  Or do I pack out and go?  Trying to figure out if I need to take pack to peak. Any thoughts?

MikeH
      Participant

Hi Amir,

Sounds like a great trip.

Depending on how early you get to Dry Lake, you can summit San G and back in one day (also depending on your fitness level).  It’s a long day, though, but it’s exactly what I did my first trip up there.

I got to Dry Lake about 12:00, set up camp, had a snack and felt pretty good so I headed up.  I think it took me 4 hours to get to the summit.  Walked almost the whole way back in the dark.  Luckily, I had brought along my jacket and a headlamp. 🙂  Not to mention, I used my GPS track to find my tent in the dark!

Your plan of camping at Dry Lake and summiting in the AM is a good one.  An option, if it suits you, is to leave VERY early in the AM and get to San G for the sunrise.  But realize you’ll be walking an unfamiliar trail in the dark at first.  Otherwise, wake up, have a good breakfast and head up.  You’ll have all day at that point.  Take your time and enjoy the views.

It’s about 5 miles from Dry Lake to the San G summit.  Being at altitude, it may feel like a very long 5 miles.

You can leave your camp all set up at Dry Lake.  Put any food/ scented items in a hanging bear bag or bear can to be safe- from both regular bears and “mini” bears (squirrels etc)

While I’ve never heard of problems of theft, I would also recommend taking your car keys, wallet etc with you… and any gear you might need should you have issues on the trail.

Have a good time!

Amir
      Participant

Awesome. Thanks!!

Ed
      Participant

Second what Mike said, and suggest a day pack.  Not what you would call a particularly short and and easy hike from Dry Lake to the summit and back, and plenty to carry: water, lunch, extra clothing (it can be cold and windy higher up), headlamp, map, phone, wallet, keys, etc.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Ed.
      BrianD
      Participant

I’ll put in a plug for Mike’s “catch the sunrise” idea. It’s truly awesome from the top.  I did that last year with my son on Father’s day. We left Dry Lake sometime between 2:00 and 2:30 a.m. and arrived at the top about 5:30 a.m. We did move fast with no stops. But with a headlamp the trail is no problem. And it’s super cool to go through the plane crash site in the dark!

The hike up was comfortable in terms of temperature. But as Ed says above, bring warm gear. We got to the top a bit sweaty and comfortable, but then with the wind, it got really cold and we were glad we had our down jackets.

Natscat
      Participant

Sounds like a great trip! I have done the same-leave tent and backpack at Dry Lake and do day hike with just day pack. And yes, important to hang food in bear bag (or in bear canister) as there are bears in the area.

Have a great time!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.