Fall Hiking (September-October)

Home Forums Trail Conditions Fall Hiking (September-October)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Webdweeb
      Participant

I’d like to wrap up my hiking season with one or two hikes in the SGW, so I was wondering what they typical trail and weather conditions are in the wilderness at that time of year.  My guess is the farther one goes into October (or even November), the higher likelihood of rain (or worse), but I am hoping others here with more experience in this area than myself can shed some light on this.  Thanks in advance.

brichardsson
      Participant

generally speaking, precip won’t be much of an issue until later in the season. socalsnow.org has good spot forecasts for the san g summit and you can always check that out.

Webdweeb
      Participant

Thanks for the reply.  I like that time of year here in the flatlands of the South Bay, but I am not familiar with how the fall progresses in the mountains.  I found a site called Meteoblue.com that had 2016 historical data for the SGW, and there was no appreciable precipitation until 20 November, so if this year’s weather follows a similar pattern, October seems pretty safe, with early November almost as good.  I like the idea of the cooler temps without snow, which would make for great hiking conditions, so the next issue I need to look at is water availability.

Jonathan I
      Participant

I was out last year on the Thanksgiving holiday for two nights.  Icy patches all over Vivian Creek Trail warranted microspikes.  Trail also had patches of 10″-12″ snow.  However, trail was still easily followed.  Lastly, snow storm was arriving as our group was leaving, so expect wet and cold conditions that late into November.  And yes, I am going back on the same holiday!

Here are a few pics:

Webdweeb
      Participant

Thanks for the photos-that looks like fun!  I will leave a snow trek until after I complete the WTC next winter (so I am more properly prepared for winter treks), but it sounds like all of October and the first half of November are pretty safe for a hike without the need for hard core technical gear (ice axe, crampons, helmet, etc).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.