Forsee Creek Loop Trip

Home Forums Trail Conditions Forsee Creek Loop Trip

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      sfabre194
      Participant

I’m planning a trip on the Forsee Creek trail via Johns Meadow. On my map, it shows infrequently maintained trail leaving Johns Meadow camp and connecting to the San Bernardino Peak trail.  I would like to use this tail to complete a loop going up the San Bernardino Peak and then back down  Forsee Creek Trail via  Jackstraw Springs to the trail head.

How good is this trail to follow and are there any signs indicating the starting points. Any info would be great.

Forsee Creek

MikeH
      Participant

I’ve done this loop.  I don’t recall having any issues following the trail from John’s Meadow up to the SB Peak Trail connection.  Of course, that was before the shutdown and nature having plenty of time to take back it’s trails.

I’m fairly certain I downloaded a GPX track from someone/ somewhere.  I’ll post here if I figure out where.

sfabre194
      Participant

I’m glad to hear the trail was doable. I heard that it’s a maintained unofficial  trail. It Would be great if you could post the track for it. It be much appreciated. It looks like a fun 2 night loop.  Hopefully there will be some water in August.

Matt_W
      Participant

I did this loop last October. I made a CalTopo map of the route here:

https://caltopo.com/m/H1M6

We didn’t make it all the way to South Fork due to time, but used the Forsee Creek trail to bail out. The John’s Meadow trail was well maintained and easy to follow all the way to the ridge.

sfabre194
      Participant

I appreciate the map and information very much.  I’ll use this to keep me on course during the trip.

MikeH
      Participant

Here’s Hikingguy’s loop.  There is a gpx track there for download if you need it.

He also has notes regarding the trail shown on the map v.s. the route he took.

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/best-la-hikes/hike-san-bernardino-east-peak-from-forsee-creek-trail/

sfabre194
      Participant

Wow this is incredible. So detailed with a live play by play of the route. The track will be helpful for the under maintained section from Columbine to Johns Meadow.

Do most of the camps on this route have water in early August?

Matt_W
      Participant

When I hiked it last October, there was plenty of water on the trail. I started out marking streams, but stopped because we were crossing them every couple of miles. But last year was a wet year too. The stream across the trail above Limber Pine is robust and, I believe, permanent. And I think that the stream at Columbine Spring just below Manzanita Flats is also permanent, though we didn’t walk down to it.

sfabre194
      Participant

Thanks for the great info.  I really don’t want to carry water if I don’t have to. I’m trying to keep my pack weight to a max 30 lbs. for the 2 night trip.

The map shows those springs as feeders for larger creeks, but they can also dry up after a moderate winter.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.