Forsee Creek parking and trail status?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Forsee Creek parking and trail status?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      hiker girl
      Participant

Is the Forsee road still rutted out, or passable to non-4×4 vehicles now?  It was pretty rough when hike lead with 4×4 and I checked it out first day Forsee opened, on our way out from a Dry Lake snowhike.  And I know the monsoons played havoc with that area too.

For the Forsee loop hike, Mill Creek ranger station person said there is one roughly 10 ft scree slide area you have to traverse.  Is that on the Johns Meadow side, or the one that tops out by Anderson?  “Sketch” (exposure?) or not bad?

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by hiker girl.
      MikeH
      Participant

Tag….

hiker girl
      Participant

Got info from a friend entire loop both Forsee to Limber and to Anderson is burnt but road better as of a July exploratory hike.

Is trail obvious or too much of a mess to hike it now?  Did the Divide Trail burn too?

Thanks!

shawnsisler
      Participant

Hi Hiker Girl,

The status of the road and parking lot is about the same or a little worst since last July.

Forsee Trailhead Parking Lot is in bad shape except for the sloped area near sign.

The Road 1N82 to Forsee Trailhead Parking Lot is very bumpy and a lot of rock landmines that could damage some standard clearance vehicles.

The Forsee Creek Trail had a lot of down trees across trail that SGWA trailcrew removed last month. But since then there were several flash floods that created some large gorges in Round Cienaga Creek and Stetson Creek that can be difficulty to cross. With that said the trail should be good from just before Jackstraw Spring Camp and beyond. There is no fire damage from just before Trail Fork Spring Camp and beyond heading East until Red Rock Camp which was part of the Lake Fire 2015.

SGWA volunteer

hiker girl
        Participant

Thank you so much for the very helpful info, Shawn!  Pushing off Forsee hike – friend just found out her coworker tested positive for Covid.

I’ll have to park just in the Forsee road and walk the rest to see if it’s something I feel ok taking my crossover.

So sad about the flash flood gorges.  We saw the one that took out the canyon traverse at the start of the South Fork trail a few years ago, from the same flooding rains that took out the 243 in Idy.  Just crazy the power of water, and hope those areas aren’t now structurally undermined.

pauls82
      Participant

Hi,

I hiked Shields and Anderson Peaks yesterday via Forsee Creek. The road in and parking lot were fine for my AWD Highlander. Not much worse that usual.

The trail is overgrown at the bottom but it is mostly herbaceous and so not a problem getting through. The rain washed a lot of material down onto the trail and the some of the washes have been transformed. The worst is the lowest crossing – creek leading from Jackstraw Springs, currently with water. Trail is completely washed out, with a 6′ drop to the rocky streambed. Can be traversed a few feet below but given the steepness and instability of the bank, it will require some repair. All other crossings passable.

Very nice late summer hike. Lupines are mostly done but still a lot of paintbrush. And flocks of juncos and goldfinches. Some fresh lion sign as well.

hiker girl
        Participant

Thanks Paul!

Great info!  As things turned out, my Forsee hike partner’s coworker just texted her that she tested positive for Covid. So kind, considerate friend canceled our Sunday hike.

I have an AWD crossover – taken it on minor stuff, not major and it has some but not huge clearance.

About that Jackstraw drop-off, did your lower traverse have similar carved out issues or a basic crossing?  Is the water crossing something you can just wade across?

And were the “herbaceous” plants buckthorn, manzanita, or something you actually can easily wade through for a change? 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by hiker girl.
      MikeH
      Participant

Thanks for the info, Paul.

pauls82
      Participant

Hi,

There is running water in the creek but mostly pools, so no need to get wet. It’s just the sudden drop off heading west on the trail (you might fall in if you had a pre-dawn start and weren’t paying attention). Gulch is steep and narrow there, so the best way across for me was about 8′ downstream, but that is soft and loose and won’t take too many slides down (and then back up) before more rocks are loosened.

There is some damage to a couple other crossings so you have to watch your footing but easily doable.

The regular patch of buckthorn in the old burn is still there to be navigated but everything above that is lupine, elderberry, penstemon, and other easy-to-bend plants. No long pants needed if you don’t mind a few scratches.

Have fun. Beautiful up there now.

pauls82
      Participant

Re: the road in from W. Jenks Lake and parking area. My Highlander does not have high clearance and it can easily navigate between the rocks and low spots. Neither road or lot seem worse than it has been all summer.

Bummer about the late cancel. Hope you are able to get back out soon.

hiker girl
      Participant

Thanks for the detailed info on the road, water conditions, and trail. I hope to get in a hike there in a couple weeks!

The flowers sound awesome (saw some similar on Jacinto), and glad the road is navigable as is the water!  Hope no more further erosion.

And buckthorn I know well.  Fun to freak out my more “city folk” CrossFit friends when I come in a bit scratched up from the “roaming kittens of the mountains!”

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by hiker girl.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.