Garmin inReach Explorer+

Home Forums Trail Conditions Garmin inReach Explorer+

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott W
      Participant

I’m looking for a good GPS / text communicator for when my cell phone crashes or is out of coverage.  Anybody have any feedback on this one?

https://www.rei.com/product/119863/garmin-inreach-explorer-satellite-communicator

Ranger Steve
      Participant

I have one. They are fantastic (in my opinion). There is a small monthly fee to maintain the service and you can send as many text messages/emails as you want of the 3 presents. You can also preset 20 others or free-form it and you get some of those free a month depending on what plan you are on. It will link up with your cell phone through blue-tooth and the tracking is done through the unit saving your cell battery (which you can place in airplane mode). The people you nominate can track your location through computer or smartphone. They say the battery in the unit is good for 100 hours. When I have gone out with it on an 8 hour patrol, tracking update set at every 10 minutes the battery has gone down to 92%. I haven’t needed the SOS feature (and I hope I don’t) but it gives peace of mind for yourself and anyone that you wish to let know. Highly recommend.

MikeH
      Participant

Hi Scott,

I was in the same situation a month or so ago- trying to decide on which GPS/ Personal Locator Beacon to purchase.  I ended up with the Explorer+.

My reasons are that I wanted:

1) A back up GPS to my phone

2) A PLB/ SOS device in case of emergency.

The Explorer Plus takes care of both of those things in one unit and also has satellite text capability (it’s slow, but works).

Used it once so far and was happy with it except for it needed to calibrate and recalibrate the compass about 4 times within 10-15 minutes.   Not sure why (might be something simple- I’ll have to research), but it worked otherwise.

My wife was able to track me on her computer when she couldn’t me via Find My Iphone.  And I sent a couple text messages which she received.

Scott W
      Participant

I used my new InReach Explore+ for my Gorgonio hike this weekend.  Overall, pretty good.

I’m disappointed that exporting tracks to Strava, etc. is so challenging.  The first segment was one that I didn’t even hike, but it started from the location of my first test message.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.