Grinell Ridge Camp Report

Home Forums Trail Conditions Grinell Ridge Camp Report

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      BrianD
      Participant

Downed trees, trees, and by the way, more trees. And then . . . . more downed trees.

My older son Milo and I were looking for a relatively easy trip to take Milo’s 5-year-old brother Auggie on his first overnight. In terms of distance and elevation, this is no doubt true. Auggie has handled the distance before. He was ready. But from the Southfork to the camp, there are fully 100 downed logs and the trail is mostly eroded away–sort of side-hilling most of the way. Auggie was a champ though! But every fifty feet or so Milo and I would hoist him up over a log. He thought it was a blast. We got our bicep curl and shoulder press workouts.

Looks like few people if anyone has camped there since the days before the Lake Fire. We had the place to ourselves, which was nice. Other than the absolutely horrendous wind that came up just before dark and pounded us all night, we had a great night.

In the morning, two hikers, a guy and his son, showed up. They had come up the Lost Creek Trial. They said it was pretty much a nightmare of downed trees and buck brush.

So… if you are looking for seclusion, without going a tremendous distance, Grinnell is great. Just be prepared for a very difficult 1 + mile section from the Southfork. But remember–a five-year-old did it!

Happy travels!

Brian

BrianD
      Participant

006E4DAF-467D-4755-9BE8-BA0523AAAFC3242F6DDB-18EC-4C6C-95C8-58116BE30F1CB202D1B4-A6DC-49AE-B3D5-0B9D41559B6B

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks for the report, Brian.  I’ve been waiting for some free time to head up there and check it out.

stbrnnr
      Participant

All kinds of awesome in this TR.  Will look forward to the further, future adventures of Auggie!  Really encouraging to see the live tree growth in the background of the camp pic…i had assumed the entire zone was fully nuked and have thus been avoiding it.  Thanks, Brian.

BrianD
      Participant

It’s pretty nuked. It’s been so long since I had been to the camp and it just looked so different. I remember a pine forest and not so much buck brush. When we rounded the ridge and came to the first flat bench that was decent to camp–confused a bit as to whether that was the camp–all the trees were dead and the wind was really getting strong. It was also nearing dark, so under the circumstances I was less concerned about whether this was the actual camp. I was more concerned with getting Auggie fed and in bed. But . . . call me crazy but I really try to make sure we are not sleeping under dead trees in high wind.  So I scouted the area and saw the next lower bench to the north east. There I could see live trees and it looked a little more protected. But the buckbrush getting there was pretty thick. With darkness getting close, the wind coming up, and the temperature dropping, we just took turns carrying Auggie through the buck brush down to the live trees. It was a good decision and a much better camp.

shawnsisler
      Participant

SGWA on 6/18  was able to scout and removed 15 down trees but there is still some 20 big down trees obstructing the trail to Grinnell Ridge camp. The trail tread is still in decent shape and easy to follow as long as you are able to figure out the ways around the down trees.

Note that the trail currently ends at the camp because the next mile of trail is covered with buckthorn and down trees so the tread isn’t noticeable.

SGWA volunteer

BrianD
      Participant

So . . . you’re saying I exaggerated when I said 100 down trees. I’ll blame it on Auggie’s count.

Thanks Shawn. And good work SWGA!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.