Grinnell East Ridge

Home Forums Trail Conditions Grinnell East Ridge

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      brichardsson
      Participant

For those of you who like exploring, please note that there is now a marijuana grow operation on the east ridge of Grinnell, and the area is not really safe.

I previously reported a grow operation on the north ridge as well, but the rangers don’t seem all that interested. Their comment on the latest report was “yeah, we’re telling people not to go there because someone got shot at”.

So consider exploring anywhere on Grinnell off limits for now. Minus the conga line up from Fish Creek Saddle of course.

Ranger Lon
      Participant

To correct the record, I said that we have not been recommending the area for many reasons, but that we heard of a possible pot grow near there last fall and had an UNCONFIRMED report that someone said they were shot at over there. A pretty good reason to avoid the area, if you ask me.

Also, you did not report the issue to the Forest Service – you reported it to a Volunteer, who fully intends to pass the information along to the Forest Service Supervisor’s office on Monday.

I also recommended that you contact the County Sheriff’s office which is where you should report criminal activity. They are the primary law enforcement agency that usually handles this kind of activity, but when I report it to the Supervisor’s office, I am sure they will also get their Law Enforcement people involved along with the Sheriff’s department. If you called them after hanging up with me, I am sure you gave them better, more direct details which will help get this resolved.

Thanks for sharing on our forum in any case. People sometimes ignore the warnings from us at at Mill Creek, but may heed another hiker.

brichardsson
        Participant

to clarify/correct,

i was told your shop is not recommending the lost creek trail for many reasons. the east ridge of grinnell isn’t really near the lost creek trail.

but yes, i did notify the sheriff as requested/directed.

chris in redlands
      Participant

That’s a bummer. About what elevation on the ridge is the grow?

I guess these bozos didn’t get the memo that it’s legal here now? I had assumed all that nonsense would stop with legalization. It’s surprising how much trash you find on the mountains from these operations. A few weeks ago we found a bunch of old black poly on our way up forsee creek, below the johns meadow trail. ridiculous.

brichardsson
        Participant

heya chris, it’s around 7,600′ iirc. if you want the exact area, i can give you the lat/long coordinates.

stbrnnr
      Participant

To Chris in Redlands: that black poly you encountered keeps buggin me!  If a significant amount remains there, what do you think about us planning a small-group eradication mission someday?  I’d be down to clear & pack a full load (or more) of that $%#@ out.  From what I’m seeing, SGWA volunteers currently have their hands more than full with trail recovery efforts.  What do you (and the Mill Creek office personnel) think about such an undertaking?  And could such private-sector action be eventually extensible to cleaning up the Grinnell grows (once USFS has declared them as all-clear,” i suppose)?  if you prefer discussing offline catch me at stbrunner60 at gmail.  Thx.

brichardsson
        Participant

i would stay far away from grow areas. there were issues in the past on the western edge of the range, people threatening hikers etc.

it really is an issue that would best be handled by law enforcement. i previously reported a grow area on the north ridge of grinnell as well, but who knows what if anything was done about it.

Jay
      Participant

I was out scouting for deer and came across the same grow yesterday (at 7600 ft) and its active again this year.  The grow on Grinnell Ridge (referred here as north ridge?) was abandoned at some point before October last year (none of the starters were planted out), but don’t know of its status this year. I know theres a grow up east fork Barton Creek and usually some in North Fork Meadow area.  Are you aware of any other areas to avoid besides the above mentioned?

Ranger Lon
        Participant

Jay,

With the Visitor Center closed since mid-March no reports like this have come to my attention. I will pass along your updated report to the Forest Service to let them know. Thanks

Jay
        Participant

Thanks Lon.  Is there an effort to clean up abandoned grow sites?

Matt C.
      Participant

We went out on the Lost Creek Trail from the South Fork Campground on 13Jun20.  As we researched the map and our approved permit had Grinnell ridge camp as our first night, we set out.  Major blow out on the trail within the first two miles, and the trail just peters out.  Absolutely no trail before or after the ridge and we were forced to traverse the canyon to the South Fork Trail.  That area is unsafe from no trail, thick brush, and widow makers from all the dead trees from the fire.  And yes there is at least a thousand feet or more of poly tube and a dug out catch basin at mosquito spring.  Nothing growing there and seems abandoned at least a year.  Location is 34°08’39.8″N 116°50’15.1″W / 34.144378, -116.837533 .  Reported to a Ranger on the South Fork trail and he said to post here on the forum.Dug out water catch

Jay
        Participant

Yep, that’s the one I had found abandoned last October.  Good to know they didn’t try it again this year. Thanks for the update!

shawnsisler
        Participant

Thanks for the coordinates. When plotting on Caltopo, I come up with a location between Grinnell Ridge Trail and the Lost Creek Spring. It seemed from your description that it would be between Grinnell Ridge Trail and South Fork River. Can you confirm location or give approximate gps coordinates from Caltopo?

Here is my map of coordinates:

Jay
        Participant

Matt’s coords are correct.  34.14632, -116.83720 is the waypoint I have for it.  There’s 3 the starter beds spread out on the bench to the east of the waypoint you have marked. One of the hooches is on that bench as well.

Matt C.
      Participant

It’s not between Grinnell ridge and South fork trail. It’s at mosquito spring and looks about right on your Caltopo point.  Between Lost Creek and the ridge.   GPS Point came from a plotting point on the pictures I took while at the site.

Ranger Lon
      Participant

I passed along the additional coordinates and photo and it is being forwarded the the appropriate LEO. They are interested in these reports and will do something about it, but manpower could be a factor. It has been reported and is in their hands now.

Just a word about the condition of the trail. Unfortunately with the Visitor Center still closed we cannot always get the message across that this trail is basically non-existent due to the damage of the Lake Fire. If you are planning to go in this part of the wilderness, you are basically going cross country and you better have good navigational tools and skills. Unlike the other trails, you will not have much to guide you on the ground.

Last year we did work on the first few miles of the trail and that is why you can get so far before the trail seems to disappear. No doubt, more work will come and it will get better – just not sure how soon.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.