Grinnell Mountain

Home Forums Trail Conditions Grinnell Mountain

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Brittany
      Participant

For future reference and plannings.

Does anyone have a map / route to get to Grinnell Mountain? What is the best off trail route?

dancpa
      Participant

We hiked Grinnell last October from the Fish Creek Trailhead.  It is a flat mountain, so finding the summit marker is difficult.  The road to Fish Creek is recommended for high clearance vehicles only.

Once you get there, you pretty much have the trail to yourself.  We saw a few hunters (it was October) and maybe a couple of hikers as well. Beautiful hike up.

Not sure where the snow level is right now on that side of the mountain. There was snow out of South Fork at about 9,000 elevation on 5/3/20.

Brittany
        Participant

Thank you so much for this, how many miles was it from fish creek? I was looking at starting at South Fork and at one of the switch backs following the ridge line up to the peak. Thank you for the heads up on the flat mountain top. Was the view worth the effort lol? I don’t think I will do this until maybe the snow melts off a bit more to be on the safe side!

dancpa
        Participant

My recollection was that it was around ten miles round trip from Fish Creek.  The dirt road to the trailhead was long and bumpy, but the hike was awesome.  I’ve been trying to do all the peaks in SoCal that are over 10,000 elevation, and got to mark off Grinnell!

After climbing Grinnell, we went a little past the saddle toward Gorgonio. I spotted the use trail up from Lodgepole/Dry Lake.

At one point we considered attempting Gorgonio, but we got a late start, and the days were shorter in October.

I’d wait until the snow melts – good call.

Brittany
        Participant

Got it!! Thank you again!! Congrats, I love that goal – do you have a list going of them? I would love to see it!

chris in redlands
      Participant

Grinnell can be climbed directly from fish Creek saddle. From dry lake, the use trail up past lodgepole spring is steep but easy. Lake peak is by far a better summit tho, so do it instead or both. A slope of Grinnell was reported to have a cannabis grow with hostile growers last year. I believe it was an eastern slope. I never read of a resolution to that, so use caution from the fish Creek side. This was discussed in this forum.

Brittany
        Participant

Chris, Thank you for all the info! I think I will go for Lake Peak first, seems more straight forward. — I do recall reading about the cannabis last year here. I didn’t realize that was Grinnell, so thank you for the heads up – I would not want to run into that by any means! Crazy.

Brittany
        Participant

Hey Chris, once you get to Fish Creek Saddle, is there a trail up to Lake Peak ?

chris in redlands
        Participant

There is not, and this time of year, it’s gonna still be quite snowy, i’d assume. Just under two weeks ago I went up Anderson via the Forsee Creek trail and the snow became and issue at around 8,500 ft. by 9,500 feet, i had snowshoes on and had left the trail to just go straight up to the summit along a ridge. It’s been a hot couple of weeks, but there’s still snow on the divide.

Judging from what i saw from above Dobbs Cabin today (Yucaipa ridge north face nearly snow-free below 8,500 feet except in the canyons) the snow has probably retreated another 5 or 600 feet on the north side of Lake Peak, which will be much like Anderson, snow-wise.

If I had to guess, you’ll be snow-shoeing from dry lake up past lodgepole springs to the pass, and on to lake peak, with similarly steep terrain the whole way.

Normally, in the summer, i’d go up Lake Peak from Mine Shaft Saddle, which would also be a good way to do it from Fish Creek Saddle, though the elevation profile looks about the same if you just go straight to the summit of Lake Peak from Fish Creek Saddle.

AFIK, there’s no trail to the summit of Lake.

Hope that helps!

Brittany
        Participant

Thank you for all this!! I ended up just heading up to the lake for the day trip this weekend, Leak peak did still look pretty snowy! Thank you for the heads up on the trail !

Leak Peak

Ed
      Participant

The Sierra Club Hundred Peaks Section website has directions and maps for two routes, with distances and elevation gains.

Brian
      Participant

I hiked it from Fish Creek Saddle and there is a faint trail for most of the way but it’s hard to see. Views of San G are amazing, especially from a rock formation along the way.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.