Grinnell Ridge Camp

Home Forums Trail Conditions Grinnell Ridge Camp

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kate
      Participant

Hello! Has anyone stayed at the Grinnell Ridge Camp? Do you know how far it is from the South Fork Trail? Thank you!

BrianD
      Participant

Hi Kate,

I have not camped at Grinnell camp, but unless things have changed, be prepared to lose the trail very soon after crossing the creek at the South Fork. A couple of years ago after the area opened from the lake fire, I hiked all of Grinnell Ridge to its peak beginning from the trail from the South Fork trail. The trail disappeared very soon and I ended up just scrambling up to the ridge through and around dead fall and buck brush. Not sure the trail has been rebuilt since. Maybe someone else knows who can chime in.

Brian

shawnsisler
      Participant

Lost Creek Trail 1E09 currently isn’t followable after 3 miles from trailhead that starts near South Fork Campground.

SGWA is trying to re-establish the trail to Grinnell Ridge Camp and on to South Fork Trail 1E04.2. The first 3 miles are in good shape to a flat alternative camp area about 1/2 mile into the wilderness. From there you would have to cross-country to Grinnell Ridge Camp and some tough cross-country to South Fork Trail which I don’t recommend.

The alternative flat camp area is a nice spot with no water except if you cross-country down to the South Fork River about 3/4 mile away on a gentle slope except navigating to river bed slope. If not familiar with cross-country hiking then you should try to get a permit for another trailhead.

SGWA volunteer

Kate
        Participant

Thank you! You are saying there is an alternative camp we can use instead of Grinnell? Where is that camp? I imagine everyone with Grinnell permits will have the same problem

shawnsisler
      Participant

Here is a map.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.