Hell for Sure Canyon

Home Forums Trail Conditions Hell for Sure Canyon

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      gdpalmer
      Participant

This past week a friend launched a weather balloon for an elementary school project.  It went up to 70,000 meet and came down with its parachute in the area of Hell for Sure Canyon.  Its last ping was at 34.07155 -116.72131 with an elevation of 7687 Feet.  Using the rate of decent and speed of travel from the previous few points we estimate the landing position to be about 34.07031 -116.71899.  Given that it is a about a 10 mile hike up the Whitewater Canyon to the location, we would like to know what it looks like that far up the canyon.  There is no need to walk nine miles to find extremely steep terrain that is not safe to travel on.  The difficult part is there is no way to know exactly where it landed and visual verification would help.  The picture of the path of travel.

If you have any information on possible conditions for hiking to the area that would be great.

The picture of the last part of the travel.

The estimated end of travel.  The balloon in the picture is the last ping.  Given the trajectory, we have estimated the landing point.

As for a description of what we are looking for is as follows: The Payload dimensions are approximately 10” x 14” x 4” Painted yellow.

There is a parachute attached, approx. 6’ in diameter, orange and red.  There will also be a balloon that has popped, and will be pretty much shredded.

brichardsson
      Participant

It just depends on if you feel lucky.

It doesn’t necessarily look good. First of all, that point is – if accurate – just outside the closure area from the Lake Fire.

If it’s not accurate, however, that’s a heck of a slog to run out of (legally accessible) real estate.

Beyond that, assuming it is accurate, there’s a reason why it’s called Hell For Sure Canyon. Yes, there are some incredibly steep areas. Oh, and mountain lions.

Sorry man, sounds like an awesomely fun project.

Hikin Jim
      Participant

Yeah, that’s a tough area to get into.  Pretty rugged.

I put together a map of the zone where the weather balloon would be:  http://caltopo.com/m/SLQ0

Anyone got a drone?  🙂

HJ

Ric
      Participant

Pitownpi has hiked and flown helicopter over that area…is Pi still around?

Hikin Jim
        Participant

Dunno.  But yes he has flown and hiked in there a lot.  He might have some valuable insight — or even the ability to get back in there.

HJ

Cyberbear
      Participant

How will the Met package ping. What frequency.

Cyberbear
      Participant

Were you successful in finding AG6HQ?

Hikin Jim
      Participant

I went looking for the balloon this past week.  It’s Hell, for sure, to get back in there, but it can be done.

Report to follow…

HJ

RangerDave
      Participant

Okay, what’s all the Hoop La about a darn balloon?  Almost sounds like you want to get Search and Rescue involved?  Oh, I lost a pair of sunglasses at the beach last year, can we organize a full search and sweep of the area?  Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself.

Ranger Dave  🙂

Hikin Jim
      Participant

Lol.

Well, Dave, next time you attach several hundred dollars worth of electronics to your sunglasses, I’ll come and help you out.  😉

Interestingly, I lost my wedding ring at Rae Lakes in the Sierra a few years ago.  I posted a note on Facebook, and…   a few weeks later someone found it.  Never hurts to ask, right?

Besides, it’s a challenge!  Very few people ever get into that part of the SGW.  Trails!?  We don’t need no stinkin’ trails!

HJ

Hikin Jim
      Participant
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.