High Meadow Springs

Home Forums Trail Conditions High Meadow Springs

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      sfabre194
      Participant

Doing some planning for a few nights and need some information on High Meadow Springs camp.  My map shows the camp off the main trail and possibly near the spring. How far is the water source from the camp?  How many camp sites are there?

Any detailed info would be great.

stbrnnr
      Participant

Sorry, my initial reply to you from a few days ago remains unposted & in some forum limbo–probably due to having included a link to the following:

scroll down the recent Forum posts to “Water, July 4th?” started by DWSD.   In this earlier discussion you’ll find a wealth of invaluable info along with pics on HMS’ tent sites, as posted by some of the most experienced and informed forum participants around.  Hope this helps!

SteveB

sfabre194
      Participant

Thanks Steve for the info. High Meadow seems like a nice place to stay. I’ll have to mark a waypoint for the trail down to the camp.

scotchybob
      Participant

I just camped at HMS about 2 weeks ago. The spring is only about 100 yards (if that) down trail from the camp sites. There are about 3 or 4 good campsites (flat and picked clean), everything else is steeply sloped mountain side so it’s an unusual campsite in that respect (most campsites are on a bench or in a saddle). Water is flowing strong. The sign for HMS is right on San Bernardino Peak Divide trail and is well marked. You won’t miss it. Great camp site for the views and solitude.

sfabre194
      Participant

I’m glad the water is still flowing good and close by the camp. I’m surprised that there’s only a few level campsites. I would think that a camp like that would be have lots of level size to choose from.

I read somewhere that the camp was hard to find which is why I was asking. Obviously that’s not the case and its  well marked. I look forward to being there.

scotchybob
      Participant

Yeah, HMS camp is very well-marked. Pretty much impossible to miss. Always good water there as well. Obviously no one is going up there right now due to the Apple fire. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t leap the ridge and work its way towards Thousand Foot Ridge or down into the valley where Mineshaft Flat camp is. That’s a really beautiful area.

stbrnnr
      Participant

Much informative detail to be found in this post from a few weeks ago–as well as xlnt explanatory site photos from SGWA Ranger Shawn:

https://sgwa.org/forums/topic/water-july-4th/

(if link doesn’t work for some reason–scroll down forum topics to June 03, “Water, July 4th.”)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.