Hwy 38 closed from Angelus Oaks turnoff to Jenks Lake Rd

Home Forums Trail Conditions Hwy 38 closed from Angelus Oaks turnoff to Jenks Lake Rd

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      hiker girl
      Participant

Heavy thunderstorms triggered mudslides and debris flows along Hwy 38 afternoon of 7/31/22.

Unknown duration, but So Fork, San B, Forsee no access til open. San G and Bernardinos in general not good idea til monsoon lets up and crews get roads clear.

Watch local news on tv or web for latest.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by hiker girl.
      MikeH
      Participant

Thanks HG!

You may have saved many from a long drive up there only to be turned around.

hiker girl
        Participant

Thanks much, Mike!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hiker girl.
      hiker girl
      Participant

You can find CA highway status going to this site (official CalTrans): just type in the number of the highway.  They keep the site quite updated too.

roads.dot.ca.gov

I just checked now and this is what I found:

This highway information is the latest reported as of Tuesday, August 2nd, 2022 at 05:37 PM.

SR 38
      [IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
      IS CLOSED FROM 6.8 MI EAST OF REDLANDS TO 9 MI EAST OF ANGELUS OAKS (SAN BERNARDINO CO) – DUE TO A MUDSLIDE – MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

Darn those Monsoonies lol!  But yay for the critters that hopefully their water sources will get recharged!

MikeH
      Participant

Ya.  The water is welcome for sure.

Here’s a twitter page I found with pictures.  Those guys and girls work fast at cleaning these things up!

hiker girl
      Participant

Fully agreed with you, Mike!  Huge thanks to the first responders, the construction people, engineers, swift water rescue, everyone doing what they can to get the highway clear!  With days upon days of monsoon weather still forecast, hopefully it will just give the Bernardinos a glancing blow!

Good news for those who love the desert – lots of rain on radar over the Mojave including the Santa Rosa Mtns in the Borrego and Palm Springs areas too!  Hope for the flowers!

shawnsisler
      Participant

Thanks Hiker Girl and MikeH for the great info!!!

Keep in mind that debris is coming from the John Meadow Trail above. Flooding has effected the JMT ravines about 1/2 mile before the camp. These ravine are further carving into steep hard or loose rock. Be careful if you decide to use this trail.

Also there was more flooding and rutting in the Parking Lot and on Forest Road 1N82 but it is still passable.

SGWA volunteer

hiker girl
      Participant

Yes – so, so sad!  The Forsee Creek loop is one of my favorites, as is the Bernardino Divide trail :(.  So hard for the crews to work to get the debris cleared up, only to get more heavy downpours!  Just can’t win with all the devastation – don’t even get me started about all of that!  Burn areas and water are a bad combination; probably awhile before I do Forsee if the trails are even recoverable.  So, so sad! 🙁

I was shocked to see that the Yucaipa Ridge got 2.28 in of rain on 8/13!  Not surprised to see all those all too familiar grey rocks along with tree trunks pouring off the mountains onto the roads around Forest Falls (KTLA had video)!  Even in the Mecca area, out in the barren Mojave past Palm Springs, they got slammed with 0.91 inches!  So don’t plan on doing the Mecca Ladders anytime soon!

Are ANY San G trails accessible now?  Doesn’t look like it from news footage.

Thank you so much, SGWA volunteers, for all you do for us!  So, SO appreciated!

Latest closure per Caltrans:

This highway information is the latest reported as of Sunday, August 14th, 2022 at 07:07 PM.

SR 38
      IS CLOSED FROM MILL CREEK RD /IN ANGELUS OAKS/ TO 5.2 MI EAST OF AANGELUS OAKS /AT JENKS LAKE RD/ (SAN BERNARDINO CO) – DUE TO A MUDSLIDE – MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE – RESIDENTS WITH PROPER IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ALLOWED ACCESS

MikeH
      Participant

Are ANY San G trails accessible now?  Doesn’t look like it from news footage.

Not sure…. I read that Valley of the Falls Rd is also closed (or at least part of it).  That means no Momyer or Vivian Creek Trailhead access.

shawnsisler
      Participant

All SGW trails are open but getting to them can be a problem.

Caltrans District 8 was going to give a re-opening date yesterday but more mudslides this last weekend has set things back. Also in Forest Falls the Falls Dr was closed temporary because of a mudslide at Snow Creek where it crosses the road just before Momyer trailhead parking lot.

Please extra careful when traveling the roads and trails during these severe weather conditions. Remember to always check the weather and road conditions before your trip.

Tried to post this yesterday but I guess it pass the eye test?

“twitter.com/search?q=caltrans%20district%208&src=typed_query”

“www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/west/california-mudslide-video”

SGWA volunteer

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks Shawn.  At this point, I assume if the forecast shows rain, I’m staying home (not unusual anyway).   Definitely don’t want to get in the way of the crew’s work, but really don’t want to get caught by a mudslide or road closure.

shawnsisler
      Participant

IMG_20220823_200318

MikeH
      Participant

Thanks Shawn.  I’ve seen some video of the washed away parts of the road.  Crazy amount of erosion.

Hikin Jim
      Participant

How about coming in the long way from Big Bear?  Presumably the South Fork, Aspen Grove, and Fish Creek trailheads could all be accessed that way, yes?

HJ

Jack
        Participant

Yep, I did just that two weeks ago.

Hikin Jim
      Participant

The Caltrans site now says the below.  There’s no mention of Angelus Oaks.   I think this mean that Hwy 38 is open to the Barton Flats area, yes?

HJ

SR 38
      1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 3.4 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF SR 18 /AT RIM OF THE WORLD DR/ TO THE JCT OF SR 18 MONDAY THRU THURSDAY THRU 9/1/22 – DUE TO PERMIT WORK`

shawnsisler
      Participant

The Caltrans statement is confusing that is listed but it seems to be in the Big Bear area where hwy18 & 38 meet?

Today 2022-08-31 Big Bear News Reports:

Highway 38 to Re-Open Today at 5pm!
      08/31/2022 by Cathy Herrick

Big Bear News – Big Bear Lake, CA – According to Caltrans District 8, Highway/State Route 38 will re-open in both directions to normal travel at 5:00 pm today. Caltrans states that there is still a lot more work to be done. Once the holiday moratorium ends, traffic will go to one-way flagging operations starting September 7th until further notice.

“kbhr933.com/big-bear-news-kbhr-93-3-102-5/highway-38-to-re-open-today-at-5pm”

Hikin Jim
        Participant

I saw that too.  I think they were doing road work near the BB Discovery Center even before the wash out near Angelus Oaks.

Since AO was no longer mentioned, I took that to mean that Hwy 38 was open to Barton Flats from Mentone.

HJ

hiker girl
        Participant

Yeah my highly xp hike friend just texted me same info and I saw the same when I just checked CalTrans.  Hope it’s true and the slim monsoon chance bypasses the Bernardinos this time.

Anyone want to day hike San G with me next weekend, maybe do the Bernardino Divide via South Fork to stay high above the heat?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.