Interesting sightings

Home Forums Trail Conditions Interesting sightings

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Ratz
      Participant

We hiked South Fork Trail this weekend to the summit.

On Sat, we saw four bighorn sheep crossing the trail right in front of us between dollar lake and dollar saddle…. I know in some places in the Easter Sierra, they ask you to report sightings, don’t know if it is common to see them in Gorgonio or not.

Second unusual sighting was a Giant Sequoia tree growing in San Gorgonio!… It is a small one and certainly isn’t giant yet. I thought it was an incense cedar until I saw the cones, which are unmistakably a Giant Sequoia. If you are interested, the tree is right next to the creek crossing just steps off the road at South Fork Trail. Just look for a tree that looks similar to a cedar but has cones a little smaller than golf balls.

shawnsisler
      Participant

Hi Mark,

Nice finds. Ranger George and I were on the South Fork Trail and went to Dollar Lake last Saturday 06/13. A hiker reported seeing some Bighorn Sheep near the grassy spring that is between Dollar Lake Spur junction and Dollar Lake saddle but we didn’t see them. And we thought that they have been mistaken but you seem to confirm it. Thanks.

Also I have a picture of those trees at South Fork trailhead and was wondering if they might be a Giant Sequoia or Coastal Redwood but didn’t see any cones. Here is my picture and are these the ones possibly you are referring to?

Mark Ratz
      Participant

bighorn sheepDefinitely was bighorn sheep… When I saw them initially, i was only about 20 feet away, but was unable to pull out my phone fast enough as they trotted away. Heres a pic i got. I also got a video of them going up the slope.

Mark Ratz
      Participant

I am new to identifying trees… it has become a hobby in my last few hikes, so I was not sure what I was looking at when i found the Sequoia, but i contacted a seasoned tree-expert that I knew about online, and he confirmed that there is only one cone that looks like this…  I asked about coastal redwood verses Giant Sequoia, and he was certain it is a Sequoia…  Heres a pic of the cone I found at it’s base.Sequoia Cone

Mark Ratz
      Participant

The Giant Sequoia’s leaves look more like a cedar as you can see here..Giant Sequoia

Mark Ratz
      Participant

Coastal Redwood leaves look more like needles on a fir tree…

Cones are similar, but redwoods cones are closer to the size of a quarter and usually more opened than a sequoia.

Coastal Redwood

Mark Ratz
      Participant

MikeH
      Participant

Very cool stuff, Mark.  I’d love to see a Bighorn Sheep on the trail!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.