Limber Pine Bench Conditions

Home Forums Trail Conditions Limber Pine Bench Conditions

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      MikeH
      Participant

Anyone been to Limber Pine Bench in the last couple weeks?  Was hoping to do my first overnight in the snow there.  I’ve camped there before in the summer.

I am not confident that I could or want to find the trail if it wasn’t obvious so it would be important that the trail be relatively clear or at least have foot prints if it’s covered in snow.  I would have my GPS as a backup.

Would possibly go on to San Bernardino Peak the next morning depending on conditions of the trail, but would be just as happy to make it a quick overnight.

Seems to be a break in the weather this week, so this weekend would be a good time.  I just hiked a bit of the south fork trail and hiked around the Forsee Creek trailhead and the snow seemed to be melting pretty quickly so I’m assuming it would be similar on at least the first parts of the San Bernardino Peak Trail.

sudha
      Participant

Sorry to hijack your thread on sbd peak trail conditions but I am wondering what the parking/trail situation was like for Forsee Creek? On March 1st, Forsee Creek road to the trailhead was all snow covered and had only been driven in partially and not to the summer trailhead.

Forsee Creek Road  Has all the snow on this road melted? How is the trail itself?

MikeH
      Participant

We were in a minivan and parked in the area immediately to the right when you turn off of Jenks Lake Rd into the trailhead road.  Mostly mud and dirt.

I can’t tell where on the road that picture was taken, but there was much less snow than what your picture shows… at the start of the road… but more as you went farther up.  I don’t know if parking at the bottom where we were is a possibility for you, but, if so, you should have no problem.

I’m not familiar with the trailhead but looking on Google Maps, it appears the trail starts much farther up than where we walked to for sledding and I would suspect the road conditions up there to be very similar to what you posted.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by MikeH.
      sudha
      Participant

My picture was a little further in on the Forsee Creek road. This is exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you so much.

Jesse
      Participant

I’m not sure about that exact trail, but it would be safe to say there will be snow on a good part if not most of that trail – based on conditions in other areas of the SGW.

That trail is still used during winter (though probably not as much as the South Fork Trail) so there’s a good chance you won’t be breaking the trail from this last snowfall – but it’s always a good idea to double check that you are heading in the right direction as whoever broke the trail might have not been the best navigator.

Either way, you can’t count on someone else when it comes to your safety – so start early, check your map / gps often and if you get turned around, don’t panic! Use your map and compasss or GPS to find out where you are, then create your route to get you back on the right track!

Have fun!

Joe O
      Participant

Hi MikeH,

I am also looking to hike the San Bernadino Peak this weekend. Were you able to get more information as to what the trail condition looks like starting at Angelus Oaks?

MikeH
      Participant

Hi Joe,

No, I haven’t been able to find out much more.  I planned on calling the ranger station today.  In my limited experience with them, they are very helpful.  (909) 382-2882

From my trip to South Fork Trail last weekend and, given the weather this week, I imagine the SB Peak trailhead and trail will be clear until you get higher/ farther into the trail.

Joe O
      Participant

Mike,

Thank you for the report from South Fork. I called the ranger office, he told me that it’s “extreme alpine confition” and bring the whole set (snowshoe, ice axe, and crampons, etc). He also mentioned that the ice sheets melt and refreeze over night.

Did you get any new information other than that?

Thanks.

MikeH
      Participant

Hi Joe,

Haven’t called yet, but I imagine I’d get the same answer.  I don’t have any experience with hiking in those conditions, or using snowshoes or crampons so I may go up just for the day then (without the weight of the overnight gear) and hike for fun.  e.g. hike until I don’t feel comfortable and then turn around.

If you happen to see someone hiking with a siberian husky, that will most likely be me.  Feel free to say hey.

Joe O
      Participant

Hi Mike,

Hope you enjoyed your hike. I would imagine your siberian husky did. How was it? Were you able to summit? or did you turn around? How was the snow? mush? packed? Iced?

I and my wife had to bail on the hike because of an unexpected event. Sorry couldn’t see you up there!

MikeH
      Participant

Hi Joe,
      I posted a trip report here in the forum with pictures.  It’s titled San Bernardino Peak Trail Report.

Cliff’s notes is that I did not make it to Limber Pine Bench.  Snow was soft and slushy underneath with ice below that. There was no trail a little past Columbine Spring, and while I tried to break the trail myself using the track in my Garmin watch, I stopped when it too hard for me and I started losing confidence that I was on the correct path.

Wish the guy I saw coming by us on the way back posted here.  Wonder if he made it to the summit.

Yes, Mika had a great time. 🙂

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.