Manzanita Springs

Home Forums Trail Conditions Manzanita Springs

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      DKass
      Participant

Does anyone know whether Manzanita Springs is reliable this time of year?  I’d like to fill up water on the way up from Johns Meadow to Limber Pine Bench.  Thanks!

MikeH
      Participant

When are you thinking of going?  I believe the trails are still closed until at least 9/1/2020 (?).

DKass
      Participant

We’ve requested the weekend of 9/5. Hopefully the wilderness opens as expected.

chris in redlands
      Participant

there is never water at manzanita springs anymore. there used to be a piped spring that kept a trough filled just below the junction on the way to columbine springs, but it’s been many years since i’ve seen water there, even very early in the season.

Columbine springs is also likely dry by now, though i haven’t been there in weeks, so you’ll need someone else to confirm that. The first always-reliable water on that trail is at limber pine spring, at the end of the first switchback above limber pine bench. i’ve never seen that dry, though it’s a long way past manzanita springs.

Of course, the entire wilderness and all trails leading into it are closed now, with no indication of when they’ll reopen, but hopefully that’ll help you out when they do.

Edit: You were able to request an overnight permit? I read on the permit page that they’re not accepting applications for permits until the wilderness reopens…

DKass
      Participant

Chris,

Yes, I was able to request a wilderness permit.  They said that they would not approve until after the wilderness reopens.  I believe the current closure expires on the 1st.  It is not guaranteed, but I’m planning as if the wilderness will be open in time for my trip.

Is there a better map than the 2017 Tom Harrison?  Between Manzanita Springs being fiction and the Lost Creek Trail gone, it makes me think that perhaps I should carry something more reliable.

-Dan

chris in redlands
      Participant

i think that the tom harrison map is still a pretty solid choice, aside from making your own from caltopo.com and printing it, which may not be much better. the harrison map is really nice in that it’s small, but the extent still includes the entire wilderness and some of the surrounding stuff you can see from the wilderness.

keep in mind, too, that the majority of springs in the SGW are seasonal. only a few can be relied on year-round, and by early september, especially in summers that follow winters of low snowfall, lots of those seasonal springs will be dry. The best way to be sure you’ll have water is to get verification that someone recently saw water at a particular spring. this forum is a pretty good place to ask, and there used to be a water report somewhere, if i recall correctly, but i can’t find it at the moment.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.