Mine shaft flat trail and water – Recent reports please!

Home Forums Trail Conditions Mine shaft flat trail and water – Recent reports please!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Charlotte
      Participant

Hey guys,

Really hoping for some info here for a safe hike!

I am planning on heading up to SG this Thursday for an overnight. Plan is to hike to Mine Shaft flat camp via south fork/dry lake/mine shaft saddle and the next day loop down doing the summit/dollar lake/south fork.

I am concerned due to some recent comments on the interactive map. One person commented that the trail from the saddle is “very eroded/washed out in some sections and very difficult to follow without losing the trail.”

Also, I thought the spring near mine shaft was 0.3 miles down but someone commented on 6/1Water at Mineshaft flats is a spring way down the canyon 1.5 miles with a hard bushwhacking down to the spring”

I also understand there are downed trees coming down via dollar lake. Anyone please have a recent trail report?

Much appreciated!

Jack Shelton
      Participant

I would also love to know this. That’s a pretty major difference.

anyone have any insight on the water situation?

BrianD
      Participant

Haven’t been there since October, but spring was running strong then. That spring generally is good all year. 1.5 miles is way down there–below where the trail ends 1 mile below (and where the adventure begins to get down into the North Fork). That .5 takes about an hour alone. That far down, the river is generally flowing really well, but yes it can be a bit of a challenge to get it to it.

I remember seeing that post too about 1.5 miles down for water. That seems really odd to me. But I would be interested in hearing if that’s true.

Jack Shelton
      Participant

Agreed. 1.5 miles down from where?! Mineshaft flats camp?

Having never been to that area I have no idea. Would love to know how far down it is from camp.

BrianD
      Participant

The trail down to Mineshaft Flats (from the trail going between Mineshaft and Fish Creek Saddles is about a mile and is not heavily traveled. Mineshaft Flats sits on a big bench. The trail continues (though faint in spots) where the bench drops to the North Fork of the White Water drainage. The trail side hills down to the south across the top of the the drainage. About a third of a mile down it crosses a stream bed. Often at this time of year there is a flowing creek there. Last year on Father’s Day it was not and given the drought it’s probably dry now. Once you cross the stream bed and the trail turns east facing down the main drainage, look for way down on the left side of the trail–kind of some open spots in the buckbrush. Listen carefully and you should be able to hear some water. The spring usually comes out of the ground right down below you. You also might be able to see some black tubing and some metal in the creek bed (maybe left from the old chopper crash, not sure).

From that point the trail, which gets very little use, continues east parallel to the creek. Eventually it will start to switchback down to a meadow area about a mile below, where the trail just ends.

If I have to guess, the person who said 1.5 miles missed this point and continued down the trail. I recall last Father’s Day my son and I got to the creek bed and were surprised it was dry so early in the year. But when we stopped and listened we heard the spring and monkeyed down. It was not supper obvious but was there. It was exactly in the same place when we were back in October.

Hope this helps.

cyndijohnson
      Keymaster

There is a detailed CalTopo map created by Hikin Jim that has the GPS coordinates of the spring. Plus a lot of other cool stuff. We have a link to it under Trails – Wilderness Trip Planner – Water Sources. Take a look.

BrianD
      Participant

Charlotte,

I’m curious whether you found the spring ok at Mineshaft Flats. I hope so and that your trip was good!

Brian

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.