Mistakes made by Ranger Dave

Home Forums Trail Conditions Mistakes made by Ranger Dave

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      RangerDave
      Participant

I was up in the Sierra’s this weekend by myself on the Mount Whitney trail.  I didn’t get very far, had to hike the road (that’s horrible, don’t do it).  I won’t go into all the details but but WILL talk about staying dry.  You have to stay dry or you can get in big trouble!  First thing, your outer clothing layer HAS TO BE WATER PROOF, which means Gore-Tex pretty much, unless you were a plastic trash bag?  Your boots, legs, body, hands, and head have to stay dry.  You can handle cold with layers if you have them, which you should, but not if you get wet.  There is no staying warm if you get wet.  Next, everything you want in your pack to stay dry, pack in a plastic trash bag.  Sleeping bag, gloves, down jacket, fleece, everything.  Pack cover, have one and use it as soon as a little wet starts coming down, don’t wait.  Foam pad, always carry one.  You can’t lay down and rest or take a short nap if you have to lay on wet, cold snow.  You will be shivering very soon.  Cover; which means tent or bivy sack.  If you get stuck or lost or just have to wait out some bad weather, you have to have cover, dry cover.  Final thought to repeat:  Get wet and cold and you can be in big trouble!  Stay dry, will see you up there.

Ranger Dave out.

Ranger Bill
      Participant

To reinforce Ranger Dave…

A word about waterproof/breathable clothing…Gore-Tex and various PU laminates. Once the exterior wets out…stops beading up, the moisture you are creating inside the jacket or pants cannot escape. It becomes a sauna.

This pass weekend three of us, two wearing Precip jackets and pants the other in Gore-Tex Pro, the latter the latest and greatest from W.L Gore, wet out our jackets and pants and created an atmosphere inside. When we stopped 2 1/2 miles from the trailhead all our baselayers were wet from perspiration, not the rain. One in our group also wet out a Marmot DriClime Windshirt by wetting out the latter, he did not feel he had enough clothing to go forward.

A couple of things you can do are recoat your jacket with a Durable Water Repellent from time to time and between treatment put you jackets and pants in the dryer after a washing with powder detergent to reflow the DWR.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.