Momyer and Falls Creek current trail conditions?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Momyer and Falls Creek current trail conditions?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      hiker girl
      Participant

A comment was posted recently that looks deleted talking about rockfall, obstructions, and kitty cats on the Momyer trail.  Is this the “trace trail” part of Momyer that goes up the ridge to bit east of San B East?

I did it pre-Covid and conditions very similar to recent encounters, except no kitty cats.  Solid land navigation skills, familiarity, and puncture-proof clothes help!

Anyone done the Momyer route up Falls Creek to Dollar Lake Saddle/San G recently?  Problems there from the gender fire debris or did fire miss that area?

Thanks!

BrianD
      Participant

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and son hiked in to Dobbs Cabin for the day. They said the trail was great as far as they went. They did meet a ranger who had descended from Dollar Saddle and said the trail was good. My son and I came down from SG to Dollar Saddle this past Monday and the trail was perfect.

So you should have clear sailing!

Jack
      Participant

I went up on Wednesday and the trail is in good condition. Only concern is the mosquitos, lol. They were everywhere.

JerryN
      Participant

I’m interested in the Momyer that goes up to East San Bernardino Peak (not the Dobbs to Dollar Saddle). Any report on trail conditions?

DB
      Participant

Momyer ridge trail is lightly used and rarely maintained above the Momyer/Falls trail junction, about 3mi up from Momyer TH. Lots of fallen trees crossing the trail and a very brush overgrown mile section of switchbacks (maybe 2-1/2 mi up from M/F tr jct). Sort of have to feel your way through towards least resistant – more entangling when off track. At least that’s how it was couple years ago.

hiker girl
        Participant

Yeah was similar conditions when I last did it in 2019 as a Momyer loop.  Some rockfall up on higher switchbacks and definitely some buckthorn/whitethorn bushwacking on some overgrown switchbacks.

In general only one part of one switchback had an obstruction – I think large tree fall and/or maybe rocks – where we had to go straight down to the next one.

I recommend if you have a track for the trace trail you use it to ensure you are on the route.   It’s a beautiful trail have fun!

JerryN
        Participant

I was looking for current conditions — post fire. I have been up the Momyer before and db and hiker girl are right about how it was pre fire. Now that it is open again, has anyone been up it since the re-opening?

DB
      Participant

Looks like the ElDorado fire was stopped on the North side of the ridge, North of SBPT between SB and Anderson peaks. Check out this California Wildfire History Map:

https://projects.capradio.org/california-fire-history/#6/38.58/-121.49

JerryN
      Participant

thanks DB

hiker girl
      Participant

I lookd at DB’s excellent map, and the Falls Creek Trail and the area where the Momyer trail goes up to just east of San B East Peak.  Map does indicate lower portions of Momyer may have burned in El Dorado, and upper area by San B East burned in a different burn scar.  Falls Creek appears outside the burned area.

Yay!  I did Gaia track that hike we did in 2019!  Did loop of Falls trail to Dollar Saddle then up the Bernardino Divide and down the Momyer trail near San B East (such nice views from that peak!).  Total was 20.46 mi and about 5650′ elevation gain/loss.  That day was exploratory and took us 10 hours.

I’m happy to do it with you, Jerry, and any other xp hikers who’ve also done it and want to see current conditions.  It is not one to do alone, at least for me.

Friend and I yest Sun 8/18 ran into a guy up high on Dollar to San G spur yest who came up Falls and encountered a bear he had to scare off.  He does that trail regularly and has seen that bear more than once.  He was solo and is xp and had bear spray he almost had to deploy.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by hiker girl.
        JerryN
        Participant

@hikergirl sure, let’s look at a couple of weeks from now going up the Momyer. It is a slog, but in a good way.

Jerry

hiker girl
        Participant
          <li style=”text-align: center;”>I am hiking Momyer to Falls Creek to San G down Viv this Friday and will post conditions this weekend for y’all.
        hiker girl
        Participant

Posted.

hiker girl
        Participant

And Jerry sure few weeks out maybe do a loop up Dollar to take Momyer down or Momyer out n back.  I’ll wear my pant legs and bring my snow gaiters for the buckthorn.  Or maybe my snake gaiters even if super thick lol!  I got attacked by the mtn kittens (buckthorn) on Willow on San Jac in shorts, but Momyer is a bigger buckthorn beast!

Too bad the fire couldn’t have burned it!  Want to bring some clippers and do some trail maintenance? 🙂

hiker girl
        Participant

I did Momyer to Falls Creek Trail to Dollar Saddle to Peak then down Viv yesterday with a new friend who does Momyer a lot.

He did the full Momyer as an out and back a couple weeks ago.  He said the upper part was burnt by San B East and the buckthorn section lower was heavily overgrown.  Many trees down too.

Sounds like same old same old except for the burn area.  Maybe round up some Momyer hikers for a day of trail “reclaiming” clean up, at least as far as the hiker-eating buckthorn is concerned!

hiker girl
      Participant

Entire Momyer/Falls Creek area of the forest to Dollar Lake Saddle showed no sign of burn from the El Dorado fire :).

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.