Momyer trail shortcut?

Home Forums Trail Conditions Momyer trail shortcut?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ben FR
      Participant

I am hiking up to San Gorgonio this weekend and was trying to figure out if there’s a way to make the approach shorter. Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone started on the “Big Falls Trail” that is located in between the Momyer and Vivian Creek trailheadsd and scrambled up to meet back with the Momyer trail?

Thanks!

chris in redlands
      Participant

What you’re referring to is, I believe, the old Falls Creek Trail, which connects to the “Alger Connector” trail between Alger camp and Dobbs camp. While the trail is still there, you must illegally cross private property to get to it, so that’s really not an option.

Once upon a time, there was the momyer creek trail, which went from a camp in forest falls to the saddle between Anderson and San Bernardino East peaks. There was also the Falls Creek Trail, which went from a point about 1/2 mile below the parking area for Vivian up past Dobbs and on to Saxton and the ridge.

Year ago, a connector trail was built (by boy scouts!) between the two along an old flume, and the bottom part of the falls creek trail was closed due to private property issues and the upper part of the momyer creek trail was left to fall into disrepair. What’s left is what’s referred to as the Momyer Creek Trail…really a combination of three trails!

So no, there’s no shortcut. And for gods sake, don’t try to get to anywhere but the falls overlook on the Big Falls trail. Lots of people have died up there just playing around not even trying to scramble to a specific goal.

Chris

shawnsisler
        Participant

Thanks Chris,

Good advise and history.

SGWA volunteer

shawnsisler
      Participant

Ben,

The shortest trail to San Gorgonio Peak is the Vivian Creek trail at 9.3 miles. The next closest is South Fork trail at 10.7 miles which is completely closed because of the Lake Fire closure area.

The Momyer trail to San Gorgonio Peak is 13.2 miles and would be less if you could take the service trail you are referring to but that trail is closed to the public because it crosses private property near Mill Creek. Sorry that trail is only available to the USFS because the residents didn’t appreciate the public traffic.

SGWA volunteer

Ben FR
      Participant

Thanks Chris.   It appears that some have connected up to Momyer making a left about one mile up Vivian.  Are you familiar with that route?

Ben FR
      Participant

I am answering my own question – it looks like I’m referring to a route where you can go along Dobbs ridge past Dobbs Peak on your way to San G.   Looks like an interesting XC route.

Ranger Steve
      Participant

I have been along a trace trail along Dobbs ridge from Vivian Camp. It is not an easy route and it is a true trace trail with many obstacles, trees down and bush-wacking. I believe we got about half-way to Dobbs peak before turning around. It is beautiful up there but I wouldn’t do it alone. When your up on the ridge you can see the Dobbs Camp/Saxton junction pretty clearly although I’m not sure how steep the terrain is on the West side of Dobbs and whether it is navigable.

shawnsisler
      Participant

Ben,

Sorry we didn’t quite understand what you were looking for. That route can be very difficult navigating and shouldn’t be done alone. That route and many others can be found at Hikin Jim’s Blog.

http://hikinjim.blogspot.com/2013/12/interactive-san-gorgonio-wilderness-sgw.html

Ben FR
        Participant

Shawn,

No worries – my question about Dobbs was secondary to the original question.    From what I can gather the Dobbs XC route seems pretty frequented, looks like a fun alternate route to try.

Thanks again for the help

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.