Mountain Loop via South Fork PICTURES

Home Forums Trail Conditions Mountain Loop via South Fork PICTURES

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Cassie
      Participant

Just finished hiking San Gorgonio Mountain Loop via South Fork. Hiked up the Dry Lake side, switchbacks had some sketchy snow patches, micro spikes weren’t enough. A few groups turned around, while others just went straight up. It was the safest option to go up. Slept on the Peak and hiked down to Dollar lake and then to the parking lot. just passed Dry Lake

Dry Lake

Dry Lake

Snow starting before the crash site.

hiking straight up.

after the switchbacks we also cut straight up instead of hiking that snow.

went straight from here also.

You can see the shadow of the Mountain.

Ranger Jon!

hiking to Dollar Lake

21 miles with 5,371 feet of elevation gain!

MikeH
      Participant

Great pictures, Cassie.  Looks like a rough, but great time.

roryt63
      Participant

Hey Cassie, thank you for the info! I attempted the same route on June 14-15 and had to turn back at the switch backs myself. Can you tell me about the dollar lake side of the mountain and snow?? I am taking my wife up this weekend to camp at Dollar on Friday and Saturday night with a summit push agenda on Saturday. It looks virtually snow free from what I can see lately in peoples pictures.

Cassie
        Participant

Hello! Yes, coming down from the peak towards Dollar Lake is mostly snow free. There’s a couple sections at the top but there’s room to walk along the side of the snow. 🙂

Dollar lake has a good amount of water with a waterfall flowing into it. I’m sure nearly all the snow will be melted by the time you get there. It was pretty warm last weekend.

Here are some more pictures from that side of the trail.

Last photo is nearly at the end of the south fork trail.

Have fun!!!

roryt63
      Participant

Thank You!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.