Home Forums Trail Conditions Mystery

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      BrianD
      Participant

24865B88-D25D-4CDE-94C1-BABAB9468D09

BrianD
      Participant

I took the photo above on March 28. It was taken on the ridge that runs east from Middle Fork Jumpoff between the Middlefork and Southfork of the Whitewater. These appear to be old USFS canteens dumped in an extremely inhospitable and difficult to access place. This is also just a snapshot of the total number. They are strewn about the area–somewhere between 60 and 100 is my guess.  My theory is that they were left by a fire crew long ago (it has been awhile since this part of the ridge burned. Closer to MFJO the ridge looks apocalyptic. But the question is access. My best guest is by chopper. The closes access point may be the road into the old hydro project in the Eastfork. But from there, it took us approximately five hours to get to this point on the ridge–a full hour of which involved hands and knees work with full packs to squirm through about 200 meters of the densest brush I’ve experienced.

Anyway, any knowledge or theories would be interesting: discuss.

Brian

shawnsisler
      Participant

Hi BrianD,

It is amazing what you find when you do these backcountry trips. When there is a fire in the backcountry the hotshot crews will be helicoptered in to a ridge or camp location. That sure is a lot of canteens that some crew left behind. You might let the USFS know so maybe somebody will cleanup or not but at least they will be a where they are there. It is interesting how most are rusted but some aren’t. Maybe the rusted ones are tin and the ones that aren’t are aluminum?

That must be a tough hike coming in from White Water. It is too bad that access continues to be closed from Raywood Flats.

stbrnnr
      Participant

Another cool Deep Country report–thank you Brian & Milo!

Looking that ridge up out of curiosity on Caltopo (w/ Forest Service overlay) it shows a trail as having run from the hydro works along the ridge-top to peak 7463.  I have to assume that trail is entirely long gone and completely obscured–if ever there in the first place!  If actual–that must have been a more popular hiking area long ago (before my time, for sure).

BrianD
        Participant

Shawn,

Interesting idea to let USFS know. “Hey I found a few of your canteens.” When my dad was stationed at Horse Meadows and packing trail crews and fire crews into San G and other Wilderness areas in California, he had stories of fire crews leaving all kinds of stuff beyond as they moved from one point to the next or had to evacuate an area quickly. So I wasn’t super surprised to see something like that, I was just surprised by where they were.

BrianD
      Participant

That’s really interesting about the trail. We saw no signs of that. Assuming it ever really existed, the area was heavily damaged by the fire. We came up the Southfork from Whitewater Preserve. Just past the confluence of the Southfork and Eastfork, we had to escape some impassible waterfalls via a high ridge on the east side of the river. We descended back into the river about mile or so (hard to tell) below the hydro project. Then from there to MFJO. From the hydro project to MFJO and to the top of the ridge is really fire damaged, as is the ridge running roughly south along the east side of the Eastfork. The first part of the ridge above MFJO is like walking on the moon–very fine powder and relatively easy going. Any remnant of a trail would be impossible to find. But shortly after the high point, it turns to dense brush on top with knife-edge exposures on either side. We made camp just at dark about an hour or so from where I took the picture the of the canteens.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.