Open Jaw Trek, Momyers-SG-Vivian Creek, mid-June

Home Forums Trail Conditions Open Jaw Trek, Momyers-SG-Vivian Creek, mid-June

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Webdweeb
      Participant

New forum member here with a question about an upcoming hike, as described in the title of the post.  We’re planning 3 days and 2 nights, with one night each at Saxton and High Creek camps.  Our group is a mix of experience levels (I have some 3 season backpacking experience, one friend has much more of the same, the third has very little), so we are hoping that the snow/ice will have subsided to the point that we will not have to train with and use axes or crampons (will have micro-spikes if necessary).  I know predicting the future is not possible, so I am looking for learned opinions on the likely trail conditions in the mid-June to mid-July time frame.  Thanks for any info provided.

RangerDave
      Participant

Webdweeb,

You won’t have any snow issues in June.  There may be a patch here and there but nothing to worry about.  Check with the Ranger station or on this Forum to see the conditions before you go.

Ranger Dave.

Webdweeb
      Participant

Dave, thanks for the feedback-I will convey this info to my hiking partners.  I am actually interested in trying snow camping and trekking-any suggestions on where to begin?

RangerDave
      Participant

Webdweeb,

Above High Creek there is still plenty of snow.  It’s still ice axe and crampon conditions up there.  If you go for the top to camp it will be plenty cold and snow on the way up.

Ranger Dave

Webdweeb
      Participant

Dave, thanks for the info.  I was not very clear with my question-I meant to ask how I would go about starting to train for snow camping and trekking.  I’ve not used an ice axe before (I’ve used crampons on a hike across a glacier in NZ, but only for day hikes), so I will need to get some training in proper use before I venture into the winter wilderness.  I’m probably too late for any formal classes this year, but my guess is that REI and similar probably offer what I need.  IF you have any suggestions, please let me know.  Thanks!

RangerDave
        Participant

Webdweeb,

REI and the Sierra Club would be a good place to start.  Also the internet of course.  There is a lot of info out there, you just have to look.  Read, Read, Read….

Ranger Dave

Webdweeb
      Participant

Thanks, Dave-I DO have a lot of experience reading, so I will put those skills to good use on this subject.  🙂  I will also check out the Sierra Club to see if they offer anything on that subject.  Thanks again for the help.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.